Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show? >

should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show?

should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
You definitely need more details before you decide whether to go further. Some things to consider: What type of gallery is it? Commercial, co-op, vanity? Are they looking for new artists to represent or is this for a one-time only exhibition of works from many new artists? Does the gallery's style match yours? Ask to see a copy of the contract in advance.

Be aware that commercial gallery commissions can be as high as 60% of the sales price and their contracts are fairly restrictive as far as sales rights. In other words, even if you sell a hanging piece to your neighbor while it's on exhibit, the gallery gets their commission. They do work very hard to market the artists they represent and the works they have however, and gallery representation is considered a major career step for many serious artists. Good luck to you!

I definately agree with Ghostrider you have much foot work to do before you can consider whether your wallhanging fits the fiber art catagory they are considering showing and know what financial charges the show takes out of your sales before you receive you cut. If everything seems to be in order then go for it!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Go for it, you can't succeed if you don't try!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM

Could you ask if the gallery has a brochure or online pictures of what they have shown previously?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 PM

JUST MAKE SURE IT IS LEGIT AND in the up and up. Or you may necer see the quilt again.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Originally Posted by Hosta
Both my husband and myself are laid off I saw an ad on Craigslist of a gallery wanting fiber artists, I want to do a wallhanging and submit it but am afraid of rejection. We need the money if it sells but oh the fear is almost as great as the need. I know the saying it doesn't hurt to try but when your already down more rejection hurts.
Need to watch craigslist ads - most are honest people looking to sellk what they have - unfortunately others are there to prey on people like you who need money and see it as quick fix - be sure to check on fees etc and ask around to see if they have ever done this before - doesnt hurt to ask for references!!! Good Luck - why not just do a craigslist ad of your own and put a few on to sell. If no one buys I bet its because many are like you and cant afford to buy !!! cheryl
If it was listed on craigslist be very careful. I can't imagine a legimate gallery posting on craigslist. DO NOT put any money up front. There are too many people that have been victims of scams. While I have never had a problem with anything on craigslist or similar sites, I have been very careful about checking everything out beforehand.

That being said, if everything looks OK, go for it. You never know when another door will open. Even it it's not the one you were looking for.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Hosta, did the ad give the name and location of the gallery? Have you checked it out on google maps? When I order from a company, I use google earth to look at their store. Do I trust very much these days? No!

edited to add: The people I trust the most seem to be on this quilt site and another art site where I'm also a member. Ebay has protections built in; Craigs List is like walking down the ally in the middle of the night! Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
Craigs List is like walking down the ally in the middle of the night! Good Luck.
My thoughts exactly!!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM

When I entered my first quilt to Images I was afaid to open the letter.. Go for, fear is the worst enemy.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Go for it!!! It's worth the chance. :)
Old 12-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Location: Born in Washington State. Been in California since 1968.

quilt3311 said...
"Oh, I'd also check out the gallery with the BBB. Lots of scams out there now days."

According to someone I really respect, the BBB is a 'scam' it's self.
She told me you have to pay for membership in the BBB to be 'listed', and they don't give bad listings to their members. I cannot prove that is a fact, but if you do use the BBB it might be wise to ask what their criteria is for a good listing.