Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I've (re)joined users of vintage machines! 47 years ago I bought a fairly basic Singer which would probably still be running if not for a freak accident in 2002. Today I found its cousin - maybe a year newer - in a local thrift shop for $40.
I really love the color of that sewing machine!! So-o pretty.

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. Last year I bought a Featherweight on eBay and I just realized, this week, that it is a Centennial model :shock: ....duh!. The model number has it made in Oct of 1951. My question is about the blue and gold centennial badge....there is no date on it. All the pictures of the centennial badges that I've seen have the years 1851-1951 clearly printed on them. I'm wondering why there is no date on my machine?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Here is a picture of the badge with no date

Centennial badge with no dates
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145001[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-144996.jpe
Views:	135
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	145001  
Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I've (re)joined users of vintage machines! 47 years ago I bought a fairly basic Singer which would probably still be running if not for a freak accident in 2002. Today I found its cousin - maybe a year newer - in a local thrift shop for $40.
I really love the color of that sewing machine!! So-o pretty.

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. Last year I bought a Featherweight on eBay and I just realized, this week, that it is a Centennial model :shock: ....duh!. The model number has it made in Oct of 1951. My question is about the blue and gold centennial badge....there is no date on it. All the pictures of the centennial badges that I've seen have the years 1851-1951 clearly printed on them. I'm wondering why there is no date on my machine?
The date of your machines allotment was late in the year so it could have been made in 1952 and they were not using the Centennial badge then. So that might explain why it has the regular badge on the machine.

Billy
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 AM

Thanks Billy. Have a great holiday week!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Billy, I was given a Montgomery Wards Precision Round Bobbin model 188. Any idea where I can get parts? It needs a drive belt, bobbin winder tire and more bobbins. Thanks for any info you might have.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 AM

It's Model # EX053579. Does anyone know its model name? (and a copy of the owner's manual would be nice, but -- as you know -- not essential).

I'm just about Over The Moon because of this great find!
I THINK I have a copy of the manual here about somewhere, but can't find anything just now, so if you'll wait until mid-January and ask me again, I should be able to find it by then!!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 AM

I need to get a once over and cleaning for my "new" machine (no, Billy, despite your excellent tutorial, I wouldn't dream of attempting that myself!). But I know this is exactly the wrong time of the year to expect fast service (heck! ANY service!). However, I'm hesistant to use the machine for more than a few minutes without oiling it -- but without the manual I'm not sure WHERE to put the oil. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I THINK I have a copy of the manual here about somewhere, but can't find anything just now, so if you'll wait until mid-January and ask me again, I should be able to find it by then!!

Folks on this site are so very kind! Absolutely! I'll be willing to wait (at least a month before I pester you!). Seriously, thank you so much for being so neighborly!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by seahug
I hate to be such a pest with questions but I also have a domestic model 713 serial number 2372 and it has a J-C9 stamped in the bottom of this machine.It is a very heavy machine too. I know nothing about this machine except it sews beautifully and very quiet There are some features I don't understand and can't figure out how to put the needle in the center position. Can someone please help me on this one
Some machines were dedicated left stitchers. There's a reason for this, though it escapes me right now. Check to see if yours has a center position, or if swings from far left to far right in ZZ position.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM

I need to get a once over and cleaning for my "new" machine (no, Billy, despite your excellent tutorial, I wouldn't dream of attempting that myself!). But I know this is exactly the wrong time of the year to expect fast service (heck! ANY service!). However, I'm hesistant to use the machine for more than a few minutes without oiling it -- but without the manual I'm not sure WHERE to put the oil. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Open it up and oil anywhere you see an oil port or you see where metal is touching metal. The top should come off with a couple of screws, and the face plate either swings out or unscrews as well. If I come across the manual sooner, I'll let you know.