Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing Fabric Question >

Organizing Fabric Question

Organizing Fabric Question

Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Since I used to sew a lot of clothing, I separate the types of fabric, flannel from cotton from knit, etc. I have two bookcases in my sewing room closet, one for cottons and one for flannels.

I've collected empty cardboard bolts from JA's. Each one cut down (8" wide by 11") will give me four good solid "mini" bolts to wrap my fabric on if it is 1 yd or more (I use a flathead pin and a small snip of paper to label quantity). I like them shelved like books because it makes it easier to pull stuff out and put it away.

My cotton is organized by color; my flannel is organized by gender, girls on one shelf, boys on another. I'm not much into FQs so that isn't an issue (yet ;-}). Larger yardage or wider (58"+) are hanging from skirt/slack hangers between the two bookcases with full size bolts on the floor below.

All my smaller pieces I have folded on top of the bookcase or in a cloth bag or basket. I make skull caps that I sell on etsy and in a bike shop in SoCal - all that is in a big basket. My scraps an in plastic bins, separate by type of fabric - no color organization there yet.

And of course, stuff for a specific project are collected together in a box or plastic zip bag (like you get when you buy sheets and stuff).

Oh yeah, I have one plastic zip bag specifically for Christmas fabrics. Plus there are 6 - 7 bins out in the garage - those sorted by type of fabric and color.

Too bad we have to live in our house, I think I could fill it up with fabric - oh my.

Cotton side of the closet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-145151.jpe
Views:	53
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	145156  
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by RkayD
...I also used the foam boards so that my fabric sits up like bolts. I went to Lowe's and bought a pkg of the foam floor underlayment for $37..I got hundreds out of it as opposed to the 4-5 you get from the art foam boards at $4 each. Made a huge difference in actually seeing what I have.
I work at a bank and we get boxes of paper that have cardboard dividers of 81/2 x 11 between the paper, so I used those cardboard sheets as mini bolts... one usually works, but on occasion, I use two for a little more support. They stand up real nice in the cabinet, and I arrange by color- The best thing....These cardboard "bolts" cost nothing!!! SCORE!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Very nice arrangement for your stash. I would like to do this in the closet in my sewing room.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM

I have my fabric by color in drawers and containers.
But the best thing I do is:
I have drawers of precut strips by color. If I feel like sewing all I need to do is go grab some strips.
the sizes I keep are
1 1/2"
2"
2 1/2"
3 1/2"
4 1/2"
If I do not have enough to keep a size by color I do separate by light and dark.
I keep my strips in a system called
"A Scrap USER System" brought to me by Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com
It saves so much time. After I finish a project all the scraps get cut into these usable sizes.
Warning! You may need to by stock in Rubbermaid.
Subee
http://www.subeesews.com

Originally Posted by girlsfour
After seeing a great post with pictures of a sewing room, I am wondering - how do most people organize their fabric? Totally by color or by quantity of fabric? What or why does your system work best for you?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Oh, to be so organized
Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Once I ran out of shelves I started stacking it on the floor then one day it tumbled over and since then I just keep stacking it any place it will fit and balance gave up on orginazation about a year ago! Maybe some day when I retire I will have the time to fix it all up again.Good luck with your project.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Still working on building a stash, I'm sort of gravitating to precuts.....
Old 12-19-2010, 04:33 PM

I have a habit of buying coordinating fabric, so they are shelfed together on one side of the room. The other side the fabrics are shelfed by colors.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Wow, what a fantastic looking organizing sytem!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Subee
I have my fabric by color in drawers and containers.
But the best thing I do is:
I have drawers of precut strips by color. If I feel like sewing all I need to do is go grab some strips.
the sizes I keep are
1 1/2"
2"
2 1/2"
3 1/2"
4 1/2"
If I do not have enough to keep a size by color I do separate by light and dark.
I keep my strips in a system called
"A Scrap USER System" brought to me by Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com
It saves so much time. After I finish a project all the scraps get cut into these usable sizes.
Warning! You may need to by stock in Rubbermaid.
Subee
http://www.subeesews.com

Originally Posted by girlsfour
After seeing a great post with pictures of a sewing room, I am wondering - how do most people organize their fabric? Totally by color or by quantity of fabric? What or why does your system work best for you?
I do this also! I also cut smaller scraps into what Bonnie Hunter calls squares and bricks. Check out her website and her Scrap User System. It is in a pdf file you can download. I highly recommend it! The small squares can be used as leaders and enders.