Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with Janome bobbins >

Trouble with Janome bobbins

Trouble with Janome bobbins

Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
I have this problem too. After I get the warning that the bobbin is almost out, I watch really close and stop the machine just the minute it gets caught. If I don't it affects the bobbin case and I've messed up 3 or 4 and had to buy new ones. The problem is with the little end thread that is first wound on the bobbin. it starts getting stuck and the machine tries to use it as well as the thread it should be using. If I am machine embroidering, whenever it tells me the bobbin is about out, I immediately put in a new one and use the small ends for straight stitching when I can watch and stop it the minute the little end starts to get caught up with the other thread. This happens with the prewound bobbins as well as the ones I wind myself.

This is what I do also. I have a 6600 that's barely a year old & I've had more problems with it than I did with my first Janome in 12 years. Maybe there is something going on with the manufacturing process as with so many other things we buy these days.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM

I am thinking of buying a Jenome 6600 but I am worried now that I have read stuff against it. Have had great luck with my Janome 3500 Don't know what to do.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM

quilterfly what troubles have you had with your 6600? I am thinking of buying one after Christmas. :? :cry:
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have had no trouble at all with my 6600 but I ONLY use branded Janome bobbins and good quality branded thread - Superior, YLI or Aurifil specifically. IMO it's idiotic to spend all that money on a decent machine then penny pinch on the parts and supplies. A lot of the issues I read about on here are ppl using cheap supplies. They then criticise the machine for 'going wrong' or 'misbehaving'. This makes me mad. I've read this whole thread and ppl are being put off buying Janome by some of the comments here and that isn't fair. Properly looked after and maintained, it's an excellent machine.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Thank you K3N for your opinion. I am still leaning towards the 6600. There does seem to be more positive than negative and primarily with the bobbins which I have had no trouble at all with my 3500. Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I have had no trouble at all with my 6600 but I ONLY use branded Janome bobbins and good quality branded thread - Superior, YLI or Aurifil specifically. IMO it's idiotic to spend all that money on a decent machine then penny pinch on the parts and supplies. A lot of the issues I read about on here are ppl using cheap supplies. They then criticise the machine for 'going wrong' or 'misbehaving'. This makes me mad. I've read this whole thread and ppl are being put off buying Janome by some of the comments here and that isn't fair. Properly looked after and maintained, it's an excellent machine.
WOW!! That's a little harsh, don't you think? I didn't see any one saying they wouldn't buy Janome. I don't use "cheap supplies", in fact, I too use only Janome bobbins and Aurofil thread. Let's lighten up??
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SandraG
I use the prewound bobbins in my Janome 6500 and have had no problem. Let us know why we shouldn't use them. Don't want to mess up a good machine.
My Janome dealer had actually suggested I use prewound bobbins...but I thought it was a matter of convenience.

Can someone tell me why they use them rather than just winding your own?

My Janome does get a little finicky near the end of the bobbin.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by k3n
WOW!! That's a little harsh, don't you think? I didn't see any one saying they wouldn't buy Janome. I don't use "cheap supplies", in fact, I too use only Janome bobbins and Aurofil thread. Let's lighten up??
Didn't mean to sound harsh and it wasn't directed at anyone in particular - just a general observation on comments I've read here and elsewhere. I'm perfectly 'light' thanks all the same. :-D
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by k3n
I don't think K3N is being harsh at all. I have a Memory Craft 9000 that I bought brand new about 13 years ago and I absolutely love that machine. Because it was so expensive, I trust only Janome supplies for it and have never had a problem with the bobbins. Like some of the ladies, I hold the thread until some of the bobbin winds, then clip the thread and finish winding the bobbin. I'm sorry to hear that people are having trouble with their bobbins. I have a Jem 760 to take to classes and I absolutely love both my Janome machines.

Two gals did say they were not sure what to do about future Janome machines.

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I was thinking of getting a Janome machine .... you are making me think twice...
Originally Posted by BarbZ
I am thinking of buying a Janome 6600 but I am worried now that I have read stuff against it. Have had great luck with my Janome 3500 Don't know what to do.
June and Barb, I hope you both test drive them as they are fantastic machines. :)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Most of the time I love my 6600, it's just when the bobbin acts up, it's very frustrating. And I do use only Janome bobbins and good quality thread. I can't say that I was ever super thrilled with my AQS but it's nice and light for class which is what I bought it for. I would probably still consider the 6600 if I was buying a new quilting machine. After all, I think pretty much any machine has some complaints about it.