Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much is a Quilt Worth? >

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM

Sounds like a very reasonable price for a custom made quilt made with quilt shop quality fabric. You can't compare your quilts to WalMart, KMart and others like them.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Of the few "commissioned" quilts I have made I have had the buyers actually buy the fabric and then I charged 2 times that cost. No complaints at all.
Subee
http://www.subeesews.com
Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM

I just finished a topper in which I had $250.00 in fabric. I purchased the backing yesterday--another $50.00 (on sale).
$800.00---sounds really reasonable to me considering the part that comes next, the quilting is what really requires time, patience and a lot of thought.

Just mho.
Roxanne
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM

I think $800 is cheap. do not underprice your time and expertise. I would go with the 3 X's rule, it is the standard. If they can afford it there should be no problem. If they couldn't afford it, and they are really good friends, then I would charge them less.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM

I also think you are underpricing your labor.

I was working on a GFG top all hand pieced, partially sewed together plus lots of flowers completed but not joined. It got stolen and when I called the quilt shop they said $800 to $1500 and I submitted $800 to the insurance company and they did not even question it. Since then I have felt I should have put in for more towards the high end, but it's done.

I would get her to pay for the material upfront or buy it herself. Others are right, you don't want to get caught holding the bag if your friend changes her mind.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM

I would have her go with you to purchase the fabric so she would know the exact price. But then she must be like my sister in law. She will pay whatever if she wants it. drapes and everything that matches yet she wouldnt pay me that much for the stuff. Glad you have a friend who appreciated you.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Look here at what is being charged for handmade quilts. Most handmade quilts are well worth the price.

http://www.amishquilter.com/
Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM

I make custom draperies and bedding. A queen size custom quilted bedspread would cost $1000 or more. It's over $400 to have the custom quilting done. So, perhaps your friend has already priced a custom bedspread and thinks the $800 quilt would be a great deal. Don't hesitate to quote it and if they have questions explain the pricing to cover it. My husband says I'm lucky to make a $1/hr on the window treatments since I am such a stickler for precision. That's why I love quilts!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM

You are an artist and should charge accordingly. The 3X's cost of the materials is a good rule of thumb. Then adding for the complexity of the pattern and quilting design chosen will give you a fair market price for you labor. I suggest your friend accompany you in the fabric choices. This way she can't say she doesn't like the colors and you can give your opinion should you see a potential problem with a color choice. Lastly, I would require a deposit that covers the outlay of money for supplies and labor for cuttting just incase she cancels the quilt. This way you've covered your time and outlay so you're only out a quilt to make. Good Luck with your project, I'd love to see the finished quilt before you deliver it.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lneal
I just checked on-line for king size quilts at department stores and she could buy one much cheaper.
She probably could but it'd be made in China, Indonesia, Thailand, etc..... not with and by the love of a friend. ;) I honestly believe that makes a difference.

We paid $350 for a queen 15 some years ago and while it was a little high for us at the time, I'm sure it was low on her end and she probably should have been charging more. It was nice to know where the quilt came from though - having met the person who made it ya know??