Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SPRAY Starch - Fabric - HELP >

SPRAY Starch - Fabric - HELP

SPRAY Starch - Fabric - HELP

Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I was going to say the same- you are using way too much starch and not enough water. I mix about 4 parts water to 1 part starch for stiff, and a about half that for medium. Also, I let it sink into the fabric for about 30 seconds or so before ironing. (You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the mix and your fabric will smell heavenly as you iron and sew.)
Ohhhh, I like the idea of adding essential oil. I'll have to try it.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 AM

I read somewhere that you should put your unused starch/water solution in the refrigerator or it gets musty. Is this true? I usually make a small amount every time I make a batch, usually just enough to do my project. I like the idea of adding Febreze to the solution. You guys are SOOOOOO SMART!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Use spray starch in the can. No mess no fuss. Roz
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I have had starch mixtures (Sta-Flo mixed with water) get moldy. Storing them in the frig makes them last longer but, even in the frig, they will develop mold sooner than I think they should!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Oh, Anita, I love your stuff! I am enamored with your two red irons...never saw them ever in red (my favorite color). It's nice to know you are a member of this wonderful Board.

Originally Posted by AnitaGrossmanSolomon
When using spray starch, 'heat' the fabric with the iron and then apply the starch. Warm fabric absorbs starch more readily.

I recommend spraying the wrong side of the fabric if you get white flakes. I avoid white flakes because I use an old, dry (not steam) iron that gets HOT HOT HOT.

This web page has some of my starch thoughts. It's not for everyone but for machine piecers to consider.
http://www.marcusbrothers.com/featur...ossman_solomon
:P :P
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
I'll just add I use MaryEllen's Best Press. The best starch I've ever used. It comes in a spray bottle and lasts a long time.
Amen!!! I wish I could buy this stuff at Costco... right now i'm running out so I'll have to get a web order in as the craft stores don't carry it, you'll usually only find it in an indie sewing/craft shop if you can track it down on foot at all.

Seriously everyone, this is the bestest product ever and using it will avoid all the drama with your irons. IT"S WONDERFUL!!!! The have everything from scented to unscented, and "Linen" is my favorite scent. It is by far the best product I ever used, and makes my life sooooooo much easier when I do need to starch. Plus let me tell you, ladies if you've got blouses and men if you've got your button-down business workshirts, let me tell you - it never fails to make your clothes look like you just pulled them off the rack brand spanking new.

I grew up in a family who only used "Niagra" Starch - and now after having heard about "MaryEllen's Best Press" on a Youtube Video and then getting a full sized sample when I brought my Accuquilt Go! I will never be the same. Try It! You won't regret it!

Happy Holidays!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM

I recently found the following recipe for starch which has worked great.

1 Cup StayFlo Starch
Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 AM

I have found the following recipe for starching fabric and it works great.

1 Cup StaFlo Starch
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Febreeze
Mix well and put in spray bottle.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM

I haven't mixed starch in a long time but when I did, I use distilled water. It probably wouldn't mold as fast or easily as tap water.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I never use to be much of a starcher until reading the starch posts. Now I starch starch starch.
Love it. I am going to try and make my own from some of the recipes seen here. Thanks :thumbup: