Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM

I oil my FW in every orifice! I have opened the bottom and given it special treatment as well. There is a place on the back where the badge is that opens as well, so I oil there as well, and open the side plate. It likes the attention!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have a FW 222, and I got a reproduction manual for it, but I would really like to know if anyone has a GOOD diagram for where to oil it. The one in the manual is far from clear, and I would like a much better, bigger one if there is such a thing.
I don't know if there's a similar book for the 222, but I got a book called "The Featherweight 221 and I" and it shows very detailed pictures of every oiling point.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM

I would go with the new motor, it would be used more than a handcrank I think.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks to all who gave me input on my BelAir 600. I finally got it properly oiled, degunkified (not a real word) and sewing today!!! WOOHOO!!!!! I even wound a bobbin with new thread and it went smoothly. Found out what was wrong with other bobbin, poorly wound and 3 different thread colors on it. I realize that's being frugal but give me a break! :( I made my daughter a bookmark with scraps once I was sure it was up and running properly and it sews like a dream. For the bobbin plate cover, I checked my other vintage Japanese machine, and that plate's missing also. Will now check my vintage Singers to see if one of those two has a cover plate and if it'll fit the BelAir. I'm willing to be a cannibal for right now but wil scour a couple of places I know about and see if there's something there for the machine. I'm so excited about the machine being up and running, I had to share with y'all.

Merry Christmas to all here, Chris
Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 AM

Nice to hear the BelAir is up and running.

I hope everyone has a good Christmas. I will be stepping out of the shop for several days, as the family is getting together.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
I would go with the new motor, it would be used more than a handcrank I think.
I love your Avator -- the little dog looks stuffed, but, I think she is real!

Nancy
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 AM

[quote=chris_quilts] Found out what was wrong with other bobbin, poorly wound and 3 different thread colors on it. I realize that's being frugal but give me a break!

Ya know, the minute I get a vintage bobbin I start unwinding the thread. The thread is old and rotten anyway, I would never try to use it; but, it is amazing how the people of earlier times always wound several thread colors on one bobbin. They must of used the bobbins to use up spools of thread that were nearly empty. I have found up to 5 different threads on one bobbin!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a grand New Year everyone!

Nancy
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have a FW 222, and I got a reproduction manual for it, but I would really like to know if anyone has a GOOD diagram for where to oil it. The one in the manual is far from clear, and I would like a much better, bigger one if there is such a thing.
I don't know if there's a similar book for the 222, but I got a book called "The Featherweight 221 and I" and it shows very detailed pictures of every oiling point.
I have that book, but the 222 is different underneath. I put oil everywhere that looked as if it would benefit, because of moving parts, and hoped for the best. It stitches like a dream, and even FMQ's on small projects, though I wouldn't even try and do a quilt on it, I have bigger machines that will do those.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!Wonder how many "older ladies" (machines)will be saved in the next year?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!Wonder how many "older ladies" (machines)will be saved in the next year?
I saved one today and if I'd had the $, would have saved more. The shop where I was had about 5 - 6 older ladies there but only had the money for what I believe is a Singer RedEye treadle machine minus the treadle. It needs cleaning and maintenance, don't they all, and a bobbin cover but looks to be intact otherwise. Had a FW shell there. NO motor or bobbin area and wanted too much $ for it. Owner knew it was a FW and wouldn't go much lower on the shell even when I explained that it needed lots of work. I was tempted but the RedEye had captured my attebtion. She's sittting in my car waiting until the kids can't see me bring her in the house. I've checked with Singer and she has one of the serial #s whose records were lost but was made in 1908 in Wittenberge, Prussia, Germany. Her serial # is C5056816 for those interested.
Merry Christmas to all, Chris