Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you think you could get tired of quilting? >

Do you think you could get tired of quilting?

Do you think you could get tired of quilting?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM

I usually take a break while I'm doing a quilt, a twin size. For instance, I'm about to finish a geometric black, gray, red, with some white. I've been working on it for about 2 months. Maybe I'm getting tired of looking at those colors and all the black thread! I did some hand quilting on it for the sake of adding some hand quilting, and I did a grid in some areas with stitch in the ditch in other places.
They say with every quilt you learn something. Well, I learned that I should have used dark gray instead of black thread for this project...black is so unforgiving...it's right out there!
So, at the rate I quilt, I won't get tired of quilting. I'm making a quilt for each grandchild. I look forward to making the next quilt which will have bright and varied colors...a relief from the black and red.
You all enjoy your hobby. Blessings for the new year!
Angela
Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I put quilting aside 20 years ago while I raised 4 daughters, returned to college then the work force. Now at 58 I have left the rat race behind and have renewed my love affair with quilting. Plus, I got a new embroidery machine for Christmas and am learning that craft. I have also taken up machine quilting for the first time. So, am I bored? No way!! :)
Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I did get burned out sewing and quilting small items for the church bazaar. Bazaar was a large success. Now, I read patterns & look at fabrics online. I will not open my machine till after Christmas Day. That is soon and I have new fabric. I am itching to make a wallhanging for the sewing room. Wallhanging was in the Fons & Porter mag-Mrs. Sew & Sew. It sold out so quickly I had to download free pattern off the web and order fabric from 2 separate stores. So I am burned out on sewing for a bazaar, but ready to sew & quilt something for me!!! I love fabrics so much I don't think I will ever get tired of quilting.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM

I would if it became a chore. I like to just do it when I feel relaxed and creative, purely for relaxation. Unfortunately, I stay too tense to do much more than look at and admire potential projects.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM

I have the same problem with my hands getting stiff and hurting Found the fingerless gloves over in embroidery section at Joannes. I wear them when cutting and sewing, and I am able to quilt longer! :-D
Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM

I don't think I would ever get tired of quilting. I used to do a lot of different crafts--knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, and I would try anything at least once. I have all my cross-stitch things--although I haven't done any for several years. The rest is gone. I donated it to a senior center near here. I think quilting all the time. If I wake up during the night, I plan quilting patterns. I guess I'm addicted.
Sue
Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM

You knonw, I have always wanted to take up china painting, but it would take time away from my quilting. Also, there are so many patterns and fabric that I want to use. I don't think I will ever want to quit quilting. Sometimes I do embroidery, but turn them into quilts. However, I am getting ready to make jockey shorts for my grandson, until I get ready to quilt some quilts that are ready.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm 61, have been out of work since '92 due to poor health. I started quilting because I realized I could quilt better then many of the quilts for sale and I wanted one for our bed. I've got a ton of UFO's as my energy waxes and wanes, but on the whole, I may take a break, but I come back to it. Right now, I'm energized and have some energy so am finishing some projects. Today I added 2 already cut borders and tomorrow I'll add the other two.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Yes, I've been sick of quilting, but not 'forever'. Just get burned out now and then. After some time, I get renewed excitement to quilt again.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM

I can get tired of quilting if I am working too steady on one project, bt it never lasts very long. Too many quilts, too little time