Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Room in Basement? >

Quilt Room in Basement?

Quilt Room in Basement?

Old 12-24-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by rosalia856
I outgrew my 8x1- room upstairs so I moved to the basement. I do have a dehumdifier . I placed an area rug where I have my machine the floor has old tile on it. I have an old large dinning room table that I can lay things out on on just on lol. Everything is so handy .Cutting board,iron,material. my husband has the other side facing me where he does his Bible studies and household bills. It gives us time together.I also have MS and he built me and esculator to ride up and down so I don't need to waste energy climbing the steps. You will love it and no one else needs to see your room when it gets a little messy lol Have fun in the move good time to sort and organize. Happy quilting
Rosalia856, I couldn't agree with you more, no one needs to see it at its worst! Love the basement and lucky you to have such a considerate husband to get you and esculator! Sounds ideal.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 AM

I should have mentioned we have a walk out basement with a window that helps distract me and also make me smile as the sun beams in in the early a.m.. My Millennium takes up an 18 ft x 10 ft space just on its own, I have a layout table I made for cutting straight long edges, squaring tops, and ironing those huge backings and tops before I long arm them. Then Janes area! Yup, its definitely a sewing basement--THE WHOLE THING-LOL We also have a wood burning furnace which make it nice and toasty through the whole house. The basement is not finished and we kind of like that --open without too many walls. We use a lot of fold out tables for all the sewing machines and serger areas too.
Gotta get sewing---Take Care--Dave B.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:26 AM

I have mine in the basement. LOVE IT.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:27 AM

I had my sewing room in my basement and I loved the quiet and open space. But after a while I realized that lighting was a problem. I only have a small window. I have moved my sewing room to my sun porch and it is so much better for me. If you sew in your basement just make sure, if you don't have windows you get good lighting and it will be great.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Definitely. My "studio", as I call it, is in my basement. Every house we've lived in (in 3 states, in past 15 years) I've had my studio in the basement. Never had a water problem; this house my basement is the warmest place in winter and the coolest in the summer. There is a treadmill too, which I do sometimes use! And a TV, since I like background noise. The iron stays set up next to my area too. The floors are cement, but I have put down inexpensive area rugs, so it is comfy. The main issue in my current house was the basement lighting, but I have one of those bright light floor lamps that I put right over my machine, and I bought a big clip light (kind of industrial-looking, like a garage work lamp) to brighten up the whole area. Behind my machine was just some studs framing a wall area which is not drywalled, so I covered it with fabric! Now I can pin up various items and blocks and it is my inspiration wall. The best part is that I can leave work in progress around and not worry about the mess, and I can clean it up when I choose too. I have several plastic drawer bins to hold my things, and I have 2 closed bookcases that hold my fabric, batting, and other stuff. It's my area and I love it. Go for it!!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by WisconsinCheryl
I am considering the idea of organizing a sewing/quilting area in my basement. (I live in Wisconsin so we have basements here). Are there any special considerations when keeping your machines in the basement? I do not have any water problems in the basement area so I am pretty sure my machines are safe from water. I also keep a dehumidifier in another area so that helps the dampness. I have three pieces of exercise equipment near by so when I get bored with quilting I could jump on the treadmill....hmm, don't think that will be happening much.
I had mine in the basement for many years and didn't experience any machine or fabric problems. But we don't have a window (except the stupid 12" one) so I don't get any natural light, but most importantly, I can't see what's going on outside, and felt completely disconnected. Finally moved one son down there, and took over his room upstairs and I'm much happier.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
In the Pictures section someone showed pictures this week of their sewing room in the basement. It was awesome...so much space! If it's not carpeted it might be cold, but personally I hate carpet in a sewing room....I'd much rather have wood floors, tile floors or cement...easier to sweep up scraps and threads! But...I would simple feel in heaven if I had a nice large sewing room!
When I was a teenager, running around the house barefoot, I accidentally stepped on a needle which had gotten embedded in the carpet fibers on our stairs. It broke off at the skin when I jumped and had to be removed in the emergency room (my Dad's a doctor but I wouldn't let him cut it out at home). My Mom's sewing room was in the basement, and it was a good place for it. Still, my husband and I have carpet everywhere in our house, so I'm extra careful with pins and needles and don't go barefoot anymore.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:15 AM

I live in Wisconsin also. I have my room in one of the bedrooms in our basement. Since we have 3 patio doors down there and it is a big walk out, it works great. I love my privacy and no one bothers me. We are getting ready to move my sewing room to a larger space in the basement, which includes one of the patio doors. It is unfinished but that is part of the move. We purchased the carpet tile squares which you do not glue down. They seem to be working great. When we are finished I will post pictures.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 AM

My sewing room is in the basement, I love it! And yes the treadmill is a must-mine makes a great storage space for fabric! LOL.
My 4 yr old grandson (& his parents & baby brother) are visitng for the holidays (they live 3000 miles from us so don't get here often enough for him to remember our house). He is fascinated with my sewing area & seriously asked if that is where I live.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 AM

I've lived in my house for 30 years and have always thought of putting my sewing room in the basement, but we heat with wood and it doesn't heat the basement. I don't think it would be good for the machines. My machine was first set up in the laundry room. Then I had it in the spare bedroom, got married again and gave my room up for my step daughter. Moved it out on the balcony over the livingroom. Now all four kids are gone and I have my own sewing room again. When our house sells and we move into a house all on one level I will have a basement sewing room. I hope to get a long arm and have everything in one place.