Rice Bags

Old 12-24-2010, 05:39 AM

thanks for the information
Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 AM

I ran across a tutorial the other day for a bed warmer. This is some info included with the tute regarding filler:

You can make a bed warmer filled with feed corn, rice or buckwheat. I use feed corn, because it is very inexpensive and it stays warm for an exceptionally long time. I purchase feed corn from our local IFA, a feed and farm supply store. A 50 pound bag is less than $10. That’s enough feed corn to make between 17 to 25 bed warmers. You can also purchase it by the pound if you are only making a few, but it is not as cost effective. Buckwheat (use whole seed, not the hulls) can be purchased in bulk from many natural foods stores. Buckwheat is wonderful, but just more expensive. Rice is inexpensive, but doesn’t hold the heat as long. Be prepared for what ever you use to smell when it’s heated- feed corn like popcorn, rice like cooked rice and buckwheat… smells a little grainy, but has the least smell of the three.

We have found several fabrics that make good warmers, such as cotton chenille, cotton flannel or cotton fabric. I prefer chenille or flannel as you want it to be cozy and soft. The only thing we’ve found is that the fabric should be a natural fiber, for some reason the synthetic fabrics seem to sweat when the bed warmer is heated (we found out the hard way using minky.)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:21 AM

I made alot for presents and put Lavender in them as well as the rice and whole corn (Keep the heat longer)not popping corn .
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 AM

I have been making rice bags for years as well! I add essential oils to them from time to time~smelly ones!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by TracyRenea
Originally Posted by GrandPa
I wonder if coffee beans might work? Smell the coffee? Oh well...
Oooh :) I think I will have to try that! A little expensive but the smell :lol: . Think I will try today, for myself, wouldn't want to give it to someone without making sure it works very well. Thanks for the idea!
I'm with you on trying the coffee beans. I've had a neck warmer that a friend gave me about 15 or so yrs ago. I don't know what it is filled with except the seeds are very tiny and round and there is lavender inside. I have it on my neck right now. I think I'll try making a bag for coffee beans today.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 AM

just a suggestion, try using rubber sheating for the the bag itself. Then make a washable cover. I appreciate the idea of the feed corn, I'm going to give it a try. After the holidays, I'll take some time to write directions to make the mits for arthritic hands and post it. Little more effort involved keeping the filling from shifting, but well worth it. You can start working on next years Christmas gifts or Mothers and Fathers days are coming.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:00 AM

The first time I heard of these was years ago when I saw them advertised at Big Lots. They were called Bed Buddies. I thought it would be great for my mother who suffered with arthritis. So I headed to Big Lots to get one, sales brochure in hand. As I stepped inside, I paused trying to decide what department they would be. Just then the store the manager (a man) asked if he could help me. Without thinking I said, "Yes, could you tell me where your Bed Buddies are?" I will never forget the expression on his face! I turned beet red, then quickly shuffled through the brochure to point to the advertisement. I left the store with two Bed Buddies and a never to be forgotten story. When I gave it to my mother and told her of my adventure, she laughed until the tears ran down her face:-) They really are wonderful except for the smell, and they are easy to make. I would just give it a different name than Bed Buddy:-)
Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 AM

What would play sand do?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Just read a tute yesterday about this. Here's the site:

http://www.make-it-do.com/make-it/ma...y-bed-warmers/

I also have a "Bed Buddy" -- have had it for years, and it works great, although I don't know what's in it.

I'm planning to make some of these with field corn, once I find a source.
Janet
Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sewze
Originally Posted by TracyRenea
Originally Posted by GrandPa
I wonder if coffee beans might work? Smell the coffee? Oh well...
Oooh :) I think I will have to try that! A little expensive but the smell :lol: . Think I will try today, for myself, wouldn't want to give it to someone without making sure it works very well. Thanks for the idea!
I'm with you on trying the coffee beans. I've had a neck warmer that a friend gave me about 15 or so yrs ago. I don't know what it is filled with except the seeds are very tiny and round and there is lavender inside. I have it on my neck right now. I think I'll try making a bag for coffee beans today.
Just home from the grocery store with some hazelnut creme coffee beans (decaf of course!) :mrgreen: Hope I have time to throw one together today between wrapping gifts and baking.