Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many quilt >

how many quilt

how many quilt

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltaroni
I use my Janome 6600 but our local fabric store is offering rental time on a long arm this year so I am going to give it a try
I wonder if a longarm could be used without that huge frame. Just set it on a table as you would a regular machine and use it that way. It certainly would be easy with such a large throat space! It would be good for those of us who don't have the room for that big frame! :-)
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 AM

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter and Inspira frame which is a whole lot like the Mega Quilter. There is a good sized learning curve to use this machine. I suggest you join the Yahoo group for Pfaff Grand Quilters. The moderator, Chris, is the most knowledgable person on these machines. There is tons of information and troubleshooting tips. Don't give up. I found that prewound NEB bobbins, and using poly embroidery thread gives me great results.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM

I have a Tin lizzy Long arm, I quilt with Love it!! Practice, Practice!! Do for myself and quilt for others!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 AM

I have a home stretched mid arm machine. I guess it's almost a long arm. It has taken many years to be able to quilt with it, but I do love it. It does take practice, practice and more practice. If you do have a set up - I would say load some practice fabric on and go to town, Yes, you will have trouble with many things - but breathe deep and take a break, then quilt some more.
If you already have that set up, just use it. It will be worth it once you get past the trouble.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:39 AM

I just started quilting this fall and have made only 4 quilts. I quilted them all on my sewing machine. I did spend a month practicing free motion quilting before I attempted it on a quilt. I wouldn't enter one of my quilts in a quilt show; but I get better with each quilt and I really enjoy doing the free motion quilting on my sewing machine.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 AM

I quilt all my own. I'll be starting a queen sized as soon as I decide what color thread to use for the quilting.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM

I quilt almost everything now that we have a long arm.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 AM

For the small wallhangings, runners and such, I just SID, outline and simple things like that on one of my regular machines. I have a mid-arm, a Brother 1500 that sits on a New Joy. They cost a lot less, but there are downfalls. With a set-up like I have, you start out with a 5" quilting area. You have to keep in mind that, as you quilt, you lose more and more area, the queen size I just did went down to almost a 3" area, so you have to plan designs well. I am still trying to figure out how to have a large enough area so that I can "blend" the quilting, making it not look like it was done in rows. They say this is a sign that I am ready to upgrade to a LA!!! I can quilt up to a 105" quilt on it.
I am also wanting to learn more about FMQ on a domestic machine for my smaller pieces so I don't have to just SID and outline. Will be checking out the website mentioned before.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM

i hand quilt
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I free motion quilt with my regular machine. I have even done a king size quilt this way.
Me too. I have a Pfaff with a 10 in. throat so that helps. I did an oversize King on it. I Dont do a lot of fancy fmq mostly meanders or swirlls etc.