Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many quilt >

how many quilt

how many quilt

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

I use to free motion on my Janome Memory Craft 3000. Then I kept bugging hubby for a machine with a larger bedding, letting him know, someday, if at all possible, I wanted a floor frame. Well, it finally happened over the last year & a half, somewhere in the time range anyway. First we got some unexpected refund money back from getting rid of our credit cards. So, I got a machine. It's a Viking Sapphire 830, then last year, he retired, & with some of his cash out money, he kept asking if I wanted something, so I mentioned a frame. Now, we live in a small house & I wanted a smaller size one. So, I was looking at the Little Gracie II, as I didn't want to spend alot either. It's wood, & looks good, but he did some looking & found their Mini Pinn Frame, same size, same price, but not wood, & he liked the looks of it much better! So, that is set up I have now. We set it up in crib size, due to a small extra bedroom, but, I don't do alot of big bed size quilts anyway, & if I want to, I can do them in sections, then sew them together. Which is what I did before I had a frame. And real small quilts, I still do FM on my Janome. My Viking has a 9in bed, & I got the clear table for it too, with the thought, if I never get to get a frame, I can still have more room to FM on this one! Love both my machines, & it's nice having the two now, & not have to move one back & forth to the frame, when I want to use it! You can shop around, like we did, & not spend alot on a frame setup too......
Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM

had a mega quilter several years , sold it replaced it with HQ16 with studio frame , love it and have finished 13 queen and 2 king for this christmas. everyone happy.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM

I started hand quilting a couple of years ago and to my surprise it is faster than I thought it would be.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 AM

I machine quilt mine. I have a bernina 160, and it has a 9" arm. The largest quilts I've made are under a twin size simply because I don't want to wrestle anything larger. I've never sent my quilts to a longarm-er, but am piecing one now that I plan on sending. I free motion, echo, shape quilt, and use my decorative stitches.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I do my small items: minis, place mats, table runners, etc. on my regular sewing machine. All others are quilted on my long arm. :)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 AM

I quilt with my regular machine: stitch in the ditch, grids, and some hand quilting.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM

I have done most of my quilts in what I called the patchwork method (each block is quilted by hand or machine and then bocks are connected front and back) -- the smaller quilts I have handquilted using a hoop or machine quilted them -- my next is to do queen or king using the hoops to handquilt -- I don't think I have the dexterity to use a LA or even a regular machine to do my big quilts
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM

I do all mine by hand quilting in a large quilt frame that stands on the floor. I hand quilt smaller detailed areas with a hoop. I FMQ with a regular machine only on very small projects. I just love the look of hand quilting and am such a traditionalist when it comes to quilts.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM

I hand quilt all our quilts and some day I want to learn how to do machine quilting on my brother machine. If I could do that I would finish more quilts
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM

I quilt all of my own quilts be it on the machine or frame.
Actually I prefer doing it on the machine including up to oversized kings....takes a bit of doing but is well worth it to me.