Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many quilt >

how many quilt

how many quilt

Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 PM

I quilt all of my quilts by hand . Takes a little more time but I find it very rewarding. I have done several doll quilts by machine but was not as pleased with them
Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM

I am afraid I still quilt with my checkbook. I do not have any fancy machines just plain workhorse singer. I have no experience in quilting by machine and do not like hand sewing.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Quilt all of them on my Singer or by hand.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
I quilt with my regular machine: stitch in the ditch, grids, ...
This is what I do for my noncharity quilts too (except no hand quilting). I just got a Janome, though, and am eager to try some free motion quilting. My other machine (a low end Pfaff Hobby) barely had room for me to squish the fabric under as I quilted. A queen was so difficult that I was glad when I pulled it out without major mishap. My standards for that kind of quilting was very low. Basically I was happy if the back wasn't all bunched up :) All straight line quilting as I didn't know how to do anything with the feed dogs in order to attempt free motion quilting.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM
jme

Everything I have made so far I have hand quilted or tied. I don't have the patience for hand piecing (too many wants and ideas) but I enjoy hand quilting. Like others I also can't afford to send mine to someone else but I wouldn't want to either.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm really curious how the quilting turns out on a standard machine? Wow I fought with a crib size I did finally win wasn't real happy with the look but I won . Lot's of talent here lady's....just a fyi. I will be doing LAing basic loop all over for a penny a square inch(Affordable Quilting). I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures of my work. My daughter will be home tomorrow maybe she can help me (me and my confuser()computer)don't see eye to eye. Slowly getting better
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM

I had a Grace quilting table with a Janome 1600DP machine mounted and did all my quilts on it. Problem was the neck of the machine wasn't long and by the time the quilt was near the end, I had only about 3" of space to quilt - so in June I upgraded to the Tin Lizzie. I had no trouble cost justifying the Grace setup because when I bought it I had 10 unquilted tops ready to quilt, so it was already paid for (saved all those quilting fees). By the time I upgraded last June, I had quilted another 34 quilts on it - again saving all those fees. I expect to gain more expertise with the new machine because it gives me a full 12" of quilting space when the quilt is fuly rolled up on the takeup bar. It will take me a while to recover the cost, but I expect I'll do that because I love quilting them as much as choosing the fabrics, patterns, and piecing them, so I don't imagine it will take me too long. I really love the entire process.
I don't think I'll ever buy 1 of those big long arms with the computer and all because I don't believe I could ever make enough quilts to pay for it, though.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM

I can't afford a LA nor to pay a LA quilter - so I hand quilt mine. I have two racks - but - only room for one to be set up. I have tried free motion. Had troubles with the tension and, finally, gave up!!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 PM

I do most of mine on my regular machine but I have only tried free motion a couple times. I don't care for it because I'm just old fashioned. I've had quilted a few and recently tied a small scrappy lap quilt. It's pretty easy with a walking foot on my machine.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM

I quilt on my regular babylock machine. I learned to hand quilt but I don't do that anymore because the end of my fingers get too beat up. Sometimes I tie the quilts, usually if I use fleece on the back.