Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you miss film as apposed to digital camera? >

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Although we are "techie's" at my house I really prefer to use traditional film. Digital is OK for quick snapshots but it lacks something for me when it comes to real "art". I prefer to shoot on slide film and process my own so I can control the results. From there I decide which ones to print. I think it is sad that the younger generation will have no idea what to do with those precious b/w glass negatives that we have from my husband's grandfather. We also have the camera he used which is in really great shape considering it is about 100 years old.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:28 PM

Honestly, I wish I had a digital camera when my kids were little. It is so much easier to upload photos and put them on a cd than having lots of printed pictures. You can organzie them so much faster too! My dad always loved to take pictures and process them himself.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 AM

I still love my Canon AE1
Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 AM

yes, It isn't as complicated. Even a polorid was easy1
well mwith my new camera/camcorder, I am learning. but gosh! all those things I have to learn to run the thing!
the others you just stick the film in, adjust, do the flash, make sure theres a battery in the flash, and then click the picture, one drawback is the film when developed, did it take??
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 AM

There is nothing like putting the film in the camera, go out exposing the film and spending all night in the darkroom processing the film. Love the smell of the chemicals and when the photo appears in the tray of developer. I do shot digital now, as chemicals and paper, for black and white are not easy to find.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM

I love the digital -- I can work it and delete bad pix and send and print and ....
Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I like putting the movies onto DVD's
I'm 63 and learning these new toy's.
Congratulations for learning how to do that. I'm 69 and can't seem to find the time to learn that endeavour. I try to stick with learning all the new embroidery techniques and software for my machine, and for piecing quilts and LA designs. I don't think my brain can handle any new projects that are not sewing related. :roll: I am hopeful that all the new techniques that I am trying to learn will help me from developing Altzimers. :thumbup: Or is that just one side of my brain being kept active? :hunf:
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
I do miss my film. I hung onto my film camera until it got to be more costly. I switched to a small digital point and shoot in 2001 when we moved to Hawaii only because it was easier to be able to send photos via email to family.
In 2008 I switched my larger camera (slr to a dslr). There are many pros and cons to it. Overall I do believe film puts out a better photograph however most people don't care about that as they shoot for casual purposes, 4x6 size, etc...
There are still plenty of outlets for professional photographers who enjoy film photography. I have a place in NYC that I order most of my photography stuff from and they have a wide range of film products still available for those who are really, really, really into it.

(I love to quilt but photography is my #1 love) :)
Hope you give us a showing of your favorite photos sometime.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Kodachrome 25 was the best film ever made! Kodak's black & white infrared film also was a lot of fun to use, but required loading the camera in a dark room or a film changing bag. It gave the dreamiest landscapes!

No matter how much you enlarge film, it NEVER pixilates! You can't say the same about digital.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM

The film that will no longer be developed is the kind that you would use for slides. The chemicals for that process are no longer being made and the last place on Earth still developing is in Kansas and about to run out of chemicals. They will still be developing regular film (color and B&W) into prints. But if you have any old ones that need developing, you'd better get it done soon. All film developing will be gone before you know it.