Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you miss film as apposed to digital camera? >

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I love the 'instant' of digital and the ease of loading into the computer and sharing with family and friends by email.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM

I've developed film from when I was a child,but now prefer the ease of digital.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM

The film that won't be made anymore is the slide type of film. Not regular film for our older cameras. I still like my film camera and use it often. But I send it to my daughter to develop at school. It doesn't cost much to develop and I still send lots of digital pictures to be developed.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
hmmm, i got a great black and white photo with a xmas card and loved it!! but then, i'm old. i also love b&w movies best! everything changes though with time.
I, too, got black and white photos with this year's Christmas cards. But those came from digital cameras! There are several printing techniques available, even sepia tone.

I love love love digital cameras. Just about every other day I get an email from my daughter with baby pictures. I have hundreds of pictures but rarely get any printed even though that is so easy.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
You do not need a photo printer to print the photos...

If you have a color printer it should work fine - make sure you have the correct paper and settings...

If you have no printer at all, transfer the digital files to a memory card or cd and take it to the photo printer at Walmart, Walgreens etc etc

Or you can order prints online - just upload the files, pay the $$ and wait for the mail...

All I get are digital files... and those I usually download off the kids' pages off Facebook.... I don't wait for them to send files or photos.. and then I print the pics myself."
Even easier than transferring the digital files to a memory card and taking it to the photo printer at Walmart or CVS, is to just send the image electronically to the store and pick it up next time you're at that store. The pictures are ready in an hour and only cost about 20 cents. I do this every time I want a paper picture. Also, I like to do all my cropping and red-eye fixing at home so I don't have to wait for someone else to finish using the photo printer.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM

I was very fortunate to use the first Apple QuickTake camera in 1994 at work and saw this as way cool. I had the privilege to use a Sony Digital Mavica MVC-FD7 in 1997 and used this for years. It was a .6 megapixel camera with a 10X optical zoom and recorded the pictures on a 3 1/2 inch floppy disc (still have the camera and it still works). It is so great to take thousands of pictures and not have to worry about developing them. I now own a Nikon DSLR and a Panasonic DSLR like camera and love them. Below is a picture of a sunrise I took over 10 years ago with the Sony Mavica. I do not miss film and have not for many years.

Sunrise in November
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148818[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148813.jpe
Views:	8
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	148818  
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM

I have had both and to be honest I will miss the old way. Seems it was easer to snap a roll in snap it out and take to store then pick it up. silly me. I took more pictures and would take a few rolls in at a time.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Originally Posted by Hosta
there is a story on the news now about how there will be no more kodachrome film being manufactured it is the best film for colors and I do miss the whirr of the camera when the film advanced. but digital is so easy. The film was wonderful for colors for a quilt as compared to digital. No one will develop film anymore after Dec 30
Just curious, where did you find the info of "no film developed after Dec 30th"? Do you have a link? We still have some regular rolls of film that are not developed.
Just brought it on the news again tonight, here in Australia and this fellow from the States said that nowhere in the wide world will they be processing Kodachrome films anymore after Dec 30
Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 AM

I LOVE my digital camera. I haven't processed film in YEARS. I make DVDs, CDs of pictures. Pictures take up so much space and with photo editing sofware (I have photoshop) you can make color crisper, make it B&W or sienna,(My camera does all three) add effects and you can crop, make it any size you want. With film...you never knew what you were getting.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

I guess it depends on what purpose you are producing your picture. Is this for a snapshot or an "art picture"? To me, the "easy way" does not always produce the best product. Digital photos pixilate so easily and you get really sloppy enlargements. For a snapshot and a quick photo it is OK.

I have been on the digital edge from the beginning and still hate it. I own many high dollar SLR's (there are a couple Mavica's hanging around too) and I use them but my earlier cameras were better. It is sad that color slide chemistry will be non-existant because it is a simple 2 step process and very easy. I worked in the photo industry (for a company who produced film) and spent many hours in the darkroom. Nothing smells quite like a darkroom. :roll: