Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Howard
Thanks to all of you who helped me with my Singer 27. I have finally done it. I put her on Craigs list. .
Why not list it on here as well?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 AM
EC

Howard wrote: "Thanks to all of you who helped me with my Singer 27. I have finally done it. I put her on Craigs list. Have been hanging on to her for too long now with no feasible solution so why deprive someone else who could enjoy her. I don't need to tell you what a very very difficult decision it was. It's not like I don't have other machines, I have 6 ! One New Year resolutions is to learn how to let go of things. This was a first step. Can 't really afford to sink money into them and honestly don't have room for them either."

How true!! I think most of us on this board could easily become "hoarders"! I'm up to 3 treadles, 2 Featherweights, 3 Elnas, a handcrank, and a few other orphans and I'll never use them all and can hardly walk through my sewing room. Gotta learn to let a few go and enjoy the ones I keep. Great thought for a New Year's resolution! (Can I do it, can I do it?)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Well, you guys remember my Davis Vertical Feed pre 1900 machine - I think it is around 1989 -- I ordered and paid for two books off the internet and have received neither. I ordered the first book over a month ago, thought maybe I didn't order it, ordered it again! I went back and checked Paypal and yes I ordered the same book twice from the same shop. I think I got rooked, I have sent a few e-mails and can't get a response. Anyway, I still don't have the right book for my machine. I did print one from ISMACS, but it is for the Davis High Arm Vertical Feed, which is slightly different from my Davis.
I managed to get a few Boye #10 needles to try. I still don't have the Davis working! It will move freely and feed the fabric, but will not sew.

I think my Davis is a really neat machine because of the fact that it does not have feed dogs, but not much good to me if I can't get it to sew!

Quiltaddict to you still want this machine?

Nancy
Nancy,

Before you give up on this machine, you should try to contact Annie from Damascus Annie. She owns a Davis Vertical Feed (that is where I learned about this machine as well as the Two Spools). She may be of some help or have a copy of a manual for you. Here is the site that has the machines (somewhere on this site may be a contact info):http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html
Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm only collecting free machines these days- if that. My collection contains just my three main machines that I sew with, back up machines for parts, and two brown decal lotus Singer 66s. Even though I have decided not to purchase anymore machines, I still find myself daily looking at CLs for machines. :) And yes, some of my family members think I have lost it (and I only own 10 machines). Oh well, I like my new hobby (a cool way of recycling), and I have learned so much about the history of sewing machines in the process. My husband is supportive and likes that I have turn a room that was hardly used into a cozy sewing room.
His Christmas gift to me was a new light with a magnifying glass and a new pair of titanium scissors. While watching me quilt, he noticed that I could benefit from having these items. So, I had a wonderful surprise and a merry Christmas.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Oh well, I like my new hobby (a cool way of recycling), and I have learned so much about the history of sewing machines in the process. My husband is supportive and likes that I have turn a room that was hardly used into a cozy sewing room.
His Christmas gift to me was a new light with a magnifying glass and a new pair of titanium scissors. While watching me quilt, he noticed that I could benefit from having these items. So, I had a wonderful surprise and a merry Christmas.
Wow, your DH sounds like a keeper!

Nancy
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Nancy,

Before you give up on this machine, you should try to contact Annie from Damascus Annie. She owns a Davis Vertical Feed (that is where I learned about this machine as well as the Two Spools). She may be of some help or have a copy of a manual for you. Here is the site that has the machines (somewhere on this site may be a contact info):http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html
Vintagemotif, I went and checked out Annie's website again. She is really an inspiration. I love her 4 treadle sewing table!

No, I am not giving up yet. I just need more time to play with the Davis. I am just frustrated because I thought if I could get the original book for 'my' machine that would be helpful!

I saw one listed on e-bay a few days ago for over $400 with the book and everything -- just like my machine!

Nancy
Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Originally Posted by Howard
Thanks to all of you who helped me with my Singer 27. I have finally done it. I put her on Craigs list. .
Why not list it on here as well?
I have put it here but sadly enough no one in the area wanted it. Too expensive to ship any distance.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy,

Vintagemotif, I went and checked out Annie's website again. She is really an inspiration. I love her 4 treadle sewing table!

No, I am not giving up yet. I just need more time to play with the Davis. I am just frustrated because I thought if I could get the original book for 'my' machine that would be helpful!

I saw one listed on e-bay a few days ago for over $400 with the book and everything -- just like my machine!

Nancy
Yes, She is an inspiration. I leaned from her that any treadle base and a modified top to hold the machine head will work. With that bit of information, my husband was able to modify an old Singer cabinet to fit my Two Spools. I love her table and all of her individual machines- way cool. I got lucky with my Two Spools. If I hadn't had seen her site, I would have overlooked my Two Spools (almost did). And I would not have recognized your Davis.
Wow! $400 for machine with book?! You will get your machine running.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

I have a White treadle to work on! I also have a 1908 Singer hand/treadle that is very tiny!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM

I found a Singer Touch and Sew deluxe Zigzag machine 640 in a cabinet for a good price. Is that an old enough machine to have metal parts and be reliable? I know there was a period in which Singers were too plastic and didn't hold up well. I can't find any information on the 640.