Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
new watercolor floral log cabin squares...just 15 so far >

new watercolor floral log cabin squares...just 15 so far

new watercolor floral log cabin squares...just 15 so far

Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Originally Posted by just-sew-together
FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!! I have refrained for years from making a log cabin only because it didn't "fit me". Gotta tell you......your idea of using florals "speak loud and clear" to me. Luv, Luv, Luv florals in anything!!! I have always luv'ed this pattern...but was never moved to make one.....BUT..... Looks like the time has finally come. Thank you SEW much for the inspiration... I need a great project to work on thru the long cold winter.
I feel the same way! Love log cabins, but have yet to do one! Now I am inspired! I will be watching this topic, so please keep posting & I hope you don't mind some of us doing our own similar version! How wide are your strips & how big is each block? I really love your first design layout of this, but all your blocks are beautiful! They will all make a lovely quilt! How big do you plan for your finished quilt to be?...Great job!...I am truly inspired, to say the least!...
Okay...the light strips are 1", the florals 1.5". The finished block is 7.5". In the original design the first light is cut at 1.5", but in the redesign the lights are all 1".

I'm not making a quilt for a while; I want to make several small projects first--maybe 6 doll quilts, 2-3 baby quilts, a few wall hangings, maybe a table topper for me. Then I'll think on another quilt. ;)

I prepared a LOT of original block starts this afternoon.. and have 50 of the redesign started. That ought to keep me busy and out of trouble. ;) But I must start my Bargello... so the log cabins blocks is an on-going project. I wanted to get a good start on many before I leave it for a few days.

The tricky part is to try to make the florals darker as you work out...and the lights, but not so much. No dark lights go in the center few strips with me. The lights and lighter florals are the hardest to find. I just used the last strip of several of my lightest florals...and I have no more left. My, my, I'll need to shop. What a bummer! :-D :-D
Old 12-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Beatiful as usual.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Karla,
I pressed a few blocks and have some laid out on my cutting table but I can't find my camera. I hope I didn't leave it at my folks house. We just got home yesterday from being there for Christmas. I will look some more in a little bit but I don't know where it is!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Best log cabin I've every seen !
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Gorgeous!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM

I like the second one down from the finished quilt best. It seems very balanced.. All are very nice !! JMHO..
Old 12-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Its great to see you making another one of these again, seeing what you do has been very ispiring to me thanks. Chris
Old 12-28-2010, 01:33 PM

These are beyond beautiful. I have never seen the florals like these used in the log cabin. This is absolutely beautiful! Love especially the full sold quilt. Can't quite envision the newer design. Sometimes I do have hard time seeing the completed project in my mind. Whatever you choose will be stunning!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Ok, found the camera. Here are a couple of my blocks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149160.jpe
Views:	120
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	149165