Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does Your Husband Help With Chores? >

Does Your Husband Help With Chores?

Does Your Husband Help With Chores?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 AM

When our children (4) were growing, my husband did the laundry more times than I did. I worked out of the home and was a workaholic so if he didn't do it, it may not have gotten done.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM

Mine insists that he helps, but our conversations generally go the same way. In fairness, he has a job and I don't. As long as he doesn't complain, I don't mind doing it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM

My hubby works, I stay at home and take care of our two small grandsons (ages 3 mos. and 21 mos.) I do inside stuff and he keeps up with the house maintenance, and will help me with stuff. If he wants to do man stuff then he needs to let me do lady stuff. What goes around comes around. Married for thirthy-nine years and r high school sweethearts.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'm confused. you feel inconvenienced because your husband wants to contribute to the housework?
he wants to do a chore but apparently isn't sure how to do it correctly?

where's the problem? sounds more like an opportunity to me.

if you show him - without foolishly making him feel like a useless idiot - he'll be able and willing to do that chore more often.
I think it depends on how long she has been married. We've married coming up on 39 years and our first year was quite a learning experience when it came to who does what chores and learn to do the over-lapping chores. My hubs will do cleaning and laundry. He is a great cook and his collection of cookbooks rival my quilting & craft books. Once in a great while he will have a "relaps" in memory of "how much soap" and then I know he wants attention as I can get lost for hours and hours in my sewing room. Patience!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:32 PM

We take care of my IL so yep! he helps me with everything.
My sister wants to borrow him...Nope,Not.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm very spoiled. My husband does the vacuumming (I'm retired - he still works!) because he is much more thorough than I am. He gets out the shop vac and cleans the baseboards (every time) and the drapes and furniture! He also is a whiz on bathrooms. Takes him about 45 minutes to just clean the 1/2 bath downstairs (and it doesn't even get used very much!). Some of my friends want to rent him out. I think it comes from him being in the Air Force for 23 years and had to clean all the time. But I'm not complaining! He's the best.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM

I have a boyfriend who lives with me (finance as of Christmas!) and he does my laundry all the time - he likes doing laundry while he is 'tinkering' in the garage ..
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM

my husband does the floors. washing, vacuuming, swiffing, sweeping. he does it all badly but i don't care, i'm not re-doing it. he does ALL outside work and ALL inside work that i deem hubby-work like painting. he does electrical and plumbing and carpentry work and snow shoveling. i do all cooking and cleaning, laundry, mending, animal care and childcare (when necessary). i order all delivery food.
i fill the dishwasher because he overfills, and he empties and puts away.

if i absolutely have to, for anything else, i leave written instructions, such as:

1. lift pan with your right hand and pick up scrapey sponge with your left.
2. with a swirling motion, scrub food bits and grease off the pan until it's all gone.
3. rinse. repeat with dishwash fluid and hot water until sparkles appear and you can see your reflection.
4. using clean dish towel, dry until all water is gone. put away.

when i'm sick, i leave similar instructions for laundry, with my heart in my mouth. letting him do the laundry means i'm dying, the house is piled with every stitch we own and the queen is on her way for her annual visit. it also means that even with instructions that bar-bar the elephant can follow, i will still be buried in a pink bra and underpants. and so will he. (no bra.)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Dee

Hubby is a great help. He now is careful with washing clothes, as when we first married he put my new 2 piece suit, He gave me for Xmas. into the bleach. So he has really learned.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Mine only helps out when I get mad. I get tired of getting mad so most of the time I just do it myself. If I say anything he says he is sorry, but he says it more like a challenge not a real appology. Then he says I am picking on him.
sigh!