Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Newbie here with machine question >

Newbie here with machine question

Newbie here with machine question

Old 12-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Welcome from Seattle
Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Love your avatar I made that same quilt and donated it to our local humane society. For some reason I can find the pattern, would you still have the pattern? Could I get a copy?
Originally Posted by Treasureit
I and welcome from the OC, CA.

I think all sewing machines will do the tops. As far as the quilting part goes...I do SID (stitch in the ditch) with mine and I can do some easy cross hatch XXXX's and decorative stitches in a line. So, you probably can do fine with your own machine. With a little money (or should I say a lot of money) you can have someone do the quilting for you!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Welcome from Kentucky!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Welcome from Arkansas! Sorry I can't add anthing about quilting machines.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM

HelIo from NY and 16 inches of snow....I recommend Husqvarna Viking machines...a bit pricey but I think they will have all and more stiches that you are looking for.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Howdy and Welcome from Kentucky!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Welcome from the Great Piney Woods of Eastern Texas!

Get the best machine you can afford. They're now making quilt machines with 10-to-12-inch spaces so you can quilt a queen- or king-sized quilt with ease. Visit the local Pfaff, Bernina, Viking, Brother, Elna, and Singer in your area and look all of them over. Take a notebook with you and a 12" school ruler to measure and record measure from center needle position to left side of machine support located on the front right of your machine. That's all the space you get to roll a quilt under if you are making quilts for your family. You want a sturdy, hardworking machine that doesn't break down or worse yet, must be mailed in for repairs due to the lack of a nearby dealer. If you purchase a sophisticated machine with many features, be sure your dealer provides a good educational experience for you at a reasonable cost. Each machine has a language all its own, and the best place to learn the language of your particular choice is at an authorized dealer's store that has either a visiting instructor or provides training by the owner of the store.

If the owner or his teacher cannot or will not instruct you in quilting, find a business that sells machines and provides you with reasonably-priced instructions. Some stores provide free instructions; some provide instructors who charge a nominal fee for instructions, and some provide several options including the invitation of international instructors who provide instructions that may seem costly but are worth everything you pay and then some.

Best wishes, Tinabug from scenic Oceanside, California.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by beautress
Welcome from the Great Piney Woods of Eastern Texas!

Get the best machine you can afford. They're now making quilt machines with 10-to-12-inch spaces so you can quilt a queen- or king-sized quilt with ease. Visit the local Pfaff, Bernina, Viking, Brother, Elna, and Singer in your area and look all of them over. Take a notebook with you and a 12" school ruler to measure and record measure from center needle position to left side of machine support located on the front right of your machine. That's all the space you get to roll a quilt under if you are making quilts for your family. You want a sturdy, hardworking machine that doesn't break down or worse yet, must be mailed in for repairs due to the lack of a nearby dealer. If you purchase a sophisticated machine with many features, be sure your dealer provides a good educational experience for you at a reasonable cost. Each machine has a language all its own, and the best place to learn the language of your particular choice is at an authorized dealer's store that has either a visiting instructor or provides training by the owner of the store.

If the owner or his teacher cannot or will not instruct you in quilting, find a business that sells machines and provides you with reasonably-priced instructions. Some stores provide free instructions; some provide instructors who charge a nominal fee for instructions, and some provide several options including the invitation of international instructors who provide instructions that may seem costly but are worth everything you pay and then some.

Best wishes, Tinabug from scenic Oceanside, California.
This is valuable information and I will certainly use it. I love it, thanks from a fellow Texan, West Texas Rancher girl. Best and happy new year.
obtw, name is Frankie
Old 12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Cyn

Welcome from a hand quilter in NC!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Hi and welcome from Alaska.