Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you long-arm quilters >

How many of you long-arm quilters

How many of you long-arm quilters

Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 PM

I am SO glad you posted this! I'm the same way. I get so tensed up when I attempt the longarm that I haven't had any luck with anything yet. Just today I finally did meandering on a quilt, and the thread only broke 3 times. That's progress for me! I'm frustrated, and was thinking about posting something myself. I'll be on a hunt for those DVDs! Thanks, all you experienced longarmers!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:39 PM

I use the grooved boards. Just put the stylus on, stick it in a groove and go. But, you still have to practice.

Elizabeth
Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Wow, this topic is so timely. I got my LA for Xmas; it took me two days to put the frame together, and it was late at night when we finally got the machine loaded. My DH couldn't believe I wasn't all charged up to turn it on and try it out. He thought it was funny that I was a bit intimidated by the machine.

After I got the fabric and scrap batting loaded, I played with it for about 4 hours. I was surprised at how crappy I was! I can't draw well but my doodles can be pretty good. Greenfairy who is a member on this board has a couple of videos on Youtube. After I watched her I was a bit more comfortable, but I know I'll be practicing forever.

My DH keeps asking me when I'm going to do something for reals. I have a doggy quilt top I made for my middle GS - I think that's going to be the first - because he really won't care what it looks like.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM

I've been a longarm quilter for about 10 years now. The best advise I can give to any one who is new to that type of quilting or is having problems is to spend the money and go to a few classes from one of the well-known longarm teachers around the country. Whatever money you spend on the classes will be returned to you in knowledge, tips and more ideas than you can ever imagine. I found that by attending just 2 basic classes I learned more than I did in 9 months on my own. Had I known that when I bought my Gammill, I would have been up and a functional business in 6 months rather than the 1 1/2 years it ended up taking me. The most important thing to remember is to practice ...practice ...practice ...

Linda
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM

I've been having a blast on my long arm. But like you I don't know if I could do a straight line. But on the last quilt I did free motion paisleys and swirls and on the sun burst medallions I did flames or rays of sunshine. I was really pleased with it.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Does anyone else get hung up on seams when LAQ? I find that I have trouble at seams where three or four pieces intersect. Any tricks for this problem?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM

As I said earlier today practice I used sheets with a design for my freehand it was alot easier for me than a pantograph. Then one night I kept trying to do a certain pattern it just would not work for me to stiff. So I re drew it on wax paper(placed over design I can't draw or paint anything except crooked stick people.) I traced the design but I took out the points the X's that were never right or straight. Then I tried again about 2 days later wow it was so easy then( at least I liked it)It took me years 2 do the original design. I have since designed alot of my own quilting design for my longarm. I just put my oldie Rock Roll station on or a special cd in crank it up and sew,sew ,sew. Put on some music, relax and let your mind sew for you . It will take you 2 many wonderful places.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

I've had my machine since the end of Nov. DH did basic meandering and ribbons very well at his first attempt!

I'm doing good with basic meandering, with hearts, leaves, loops, swirls.The feathers are a learning process but mine are o.k. as long as the feathers follow a straightish line. My outlineing is quiet good already.

I am soooo glad we got the computer system with ours. Makes it a lot easier once you learn how the system works and how to fit the designs where you want them on the quilts.

See some of my other posts for some of my work.

When I'm not doing a customer's quilt - I am practicing!
It's great to read the tips and suggestions from everyone here. Thank you!

First quilt to longarm - Computer and some freemotion designs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149321.jpe
Views:	92
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	149326  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM

I found that starting with stencils, I also took a class at a local quilt show, but haven't mastered pantographs, made things easier. I also practice everyday with dry erase markers on page protectors. I printed pics from the internet and practice tracing them over and over. I practice this way for about 30 minutes a day (it's my lunch hour). I try to figure out which direction I need to go so that it is continous and without overtracking and lifting my pen.

I also found that I work better from the front of the machine, rather than the back.

Another thing that helps me is that I put on soothing music, it helps me relax. Try keeping the elbows in next to your body, and shoulders relaxed.

You will be amazed that the more you practice the better your will become.

Good Luck I know you will get the hang of it.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM

practice & confidence make all the difference. for easy tutes, you may want to check out youtube.com just do a search for quilting and you'll find tons of tips to watch.