Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM

If you need a visual of why it's better to tear than cut, I have photos on my blog. I tear all wide backs in my shop - due to their width they're more susceptible to being wound 'wonky'. I cut my regular width yardage mainly because more people prefer it that way, although I may tear if I have a bolt that seems really off.

http://andicrafts.wordpress.com/2010...ad-of-cutting/
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 AM

I have many fabrics here in my home on bolts. I will simply zoom through a few bolts ripping off a section or FQ's worth of fabric. I prefer the fabric to be torn. It gets it on straight of grain.
I press well and the edge usually heals. And since I am doing tons of string blocks now, those odd shapped straightening strings are PERFECT!
Subee
http://www.subeesews.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 AM

I hate the torn method also and it really gets on my last nerve. Most of the shops where this is done mark right on the line and then rip ... thus causing me to lose at least two inches that I paid for....at least in my experience.

This said, however, it does make the grain line straight. Most times I have to refold and repress the fabric, but at least it is now straight. But I always lose much more than I do when it is cut.

As some have mentioned, it is about the only way on a wide piece. But, this means I have to pay for a lot extra to get what I really need.

So, some pros and some cons! I was interested that many of you asked the shop to cut when their normal practice was to rip. I have never had nerve enough to do that! Guess I will from now on.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 AM

every shop I get fabric from in the area, cuts. I go to TN and at the fabric outlet there they tear the cottons. The first time I took my DGD and they tore her fabric I thought she was going to go balistic (she was maybe 13 or 14 and made her first quilt at 6) I told her it was okay and that was the way we learned to do it when I was in jr. high home ec class. Her look was priceless. I will take it either way but seem to have less waste when it is torn and again depends on how the bolt was handled for the previous customer
Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM

There is 1 quilt store in Miami and they prefer to rip, I get mine cut, I told them I didn't like the torn edges and felt I lost too much material. Its' just too expensive for that waste.

They have agreed to cut my fabric but most customers just don't speak up!

So my advice is to ask nicely, if they won't cut, go elsewhere :)
Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM

My quilting teacher makes us tear an inch or so off of each end of our fabric before we start doing anything else. She says it straightens it.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM

If I really needed the straight of grain I wouldn't mind them tearing the fabric...sometimes I'd prefer it, as long as they gave me an extra few inches so so I could trim the ragged edges with my rotary cutter.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 PM

When I was making clothes, it was advised to tear the fabric to find the true staight of the grain. If I do not first tear the end of the fabric I am using I can come out with some distroted pieces etc. Remember the torn end will not show, it will be part of the seam allowance and the little threads will tangle together and prevent ravelling.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Iam with you I dont like the ripped edge either.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM

This has been a rather interesting read! At the only quilt shop in town where my mom lives (craftybear visits the same one) they tear it there. I just about fell over the first time they tore a piece of my fabric. When I got home with it, I remembered doing that in Home Ec and lo and behold, my fabric was straight and measured fine. Everywhere I shop cuts it (can't stand Walmart's cutting). But, after readin all this, it makes me wonder.
So, on some of the large yardages I buy (say 7 or more yards), if I tear it,then do I tear it from then on, or would it straighten it out and be ok to rotary cut then? I always pre-wash, not sure if that matters or not.