Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!! >

I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

You GO GIRL!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 AM

Not only did they use 100% cotton, they also used silk and wool! If you get into your fabric dating and documentation, you'll find that although some of this fabric was durable, the dyes used were not and broke down the fibers in the quilt. That's why a lot of your quilt restoration can be difficult and tricky! Very interesting when you get into the history and research of older quilts!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 AM

You could also donate that poly/cotton for quilt backs for a guild's charity quilt fest. Or, make a quilt for the local shelter, dogs and cats are not usually quilt snobs. :-D
Originally Posted by klgreene
Use up your poly/cotton on a scrape quilt. Or practice on new blocks, or give it to your daughter and tell her to make another quilt. STill lots of ideas to use it for. I know not all my material is all cotton, but that's what I try to use now.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 AM

I heard this morning that the same company wants to buy BJ's but didn't hear which company it was so I went to Joann.com and the purchaser is Leonard Green and Partners.
Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by luv-e
When you think to give the very best, you did.
You gave her the BEST ADVICE....No you are NOT a snob. I can't believe that this is the first time that someone has ask you something?????? My DH thinks there is an invisable sign on me that people see.....People are always asking me questions.. I just laugh about it now.......
OH!! by the way you are the last person on here that would be a snob........Maybe you will luck out now that JoAnn's was purchased,they might come up with a store near you.......
Good morning.
Who purchased JoAnn's and are they expanding?
Thanks for the info.
Angela
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM

One problem I have had using poly fabrics is --I have to be careful when pressing. If the iron is too warm or if you wiggle the iron around, it is very easy to stretch or otherwise to alter the shape of the block or pieces.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 AM

Yes, but the feel of a nice cotton can't be beat! Love it!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by I am JJ
One problem I have had using poly fabrics is --I have to be careful when pressing. If the iron is too warm or if you wiggle the iron around, it is very easy to stretch or otherwise to alter the shape of the block or pieces.
And this is why one should use all cotton, especially for the distortion that can be caused just by sewing. Another thing that poly/cotton blends do is "pill". This is when agitation creates little balls of fiber found on the quilt top or back.
Old quilts were made of all natural fibers--wool, cotton, silk, linen and all of the man made fibers (nylon, polyester, rayon to name a few) were developed from 1930 and onward with nylon being the first.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 AM

I have used WM fabrics also, the cotton-pol fabrics they wash well and colors are great but I agree the cottons are softer but we have found both very useful in so many ways, table runners, and small projects are still great with their fabrics, we will miss the ease of shopping there.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

I have used wm fabric with great success.... then I have used JoAnns with not much success..... but I love my LQS the best...
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Last month our Wal-Mart still had fabric, and I hope they stay! I would not be able to afford to quilt without their prices. We are on a fixed budget and live 2 hours from any thrift stores or a WalMart. The local Mercantile Store does carry fabric (50 mile round trip) but it is higher than WM.
I have done a lot of shopping on ebay, but the cost of sending fabric is getting too high! So I go back to my stash!