Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Once mine is tore and on the straight of grain I then proceed to use my rotary cutter and dont have any problems
Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM

It may look messy but it does assure you that the fabric is on the straight of grain. I like it.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by natalieg
This has been a rather interesting read! At the only quilt shop in town where my mom lives (craftybear visits the same one) they tear it there. I just about fell over the first time they tore a piece of my fabric. When I got home with it, I remembered doing that in Home Ec and lo and behold, my fabric was straight and measured fine. Everywhere I shop cuts it (can't stand Walmart's cutting). But, after readin all this, it makes me wonder.
So, on some of the large yardages I buy (say 7 or more yards), if I tear it,then do I tear it from then on, or would it straighten it out and be ok to rotary cut then? I always pre-wash, not sure if that matters or not.
It will straighten out and be fine to rotary cut. When we say large pieces should be torn, we are referring to wide backings, etc.

In your case, once it is torn, pre=washed, etc., just fold so the torn edges and selvedges line up, press (not iron)before using and you will be fine.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM

I don't shop at stored anymore that tears fabric. I bought alot of FQS to make a quilted jacket. WHen I got home I measured the fabric and they weren't even close to a FQ. Needless to say I wasn't very happy. After a few conversations they took it back and CUT new ones. You can ask them to cut your fabric and they should do that for you. That was my experience with tearing fabric.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM

I prefer my fabric torn rather than cut. You loose so much if cut, but when torn...if torn every time...the fabric comes off the bolt straight and you actually have less waste than when cut. I am a garment sewer, and always want my fabric on the straight of grain before I cut it for quilting, so that is the reason for the waste when cut. The fabric is rolled onto the bolt at an angle, therefore, then cut it is also at an angle...and off grain. When torn, it will tear almost always on the straight of the grain if it is 100% cotton. I buy muslin by the bolt and always tear it off as I need it, and it is always on the straght of grain with less waste.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by nmeelia
I don't shop at stored anymore that tears fabric. I bought alot of FQS to make a quilted jacket. WHen I got home I measured the fabric and they weren't even close to a FQ. Needless to say I wasn't very happy. After a few conversations they took it back and CUT new ones. You can ask them to cut your fabric and they should do that for you. That was my experience with tearing fabric.
Sounds like they just shorted you, cut or torn.

It's true that you should be able to ask someone to cut fabric for you. But I wouldn't advise the opposite: I far prefer them to tear but only if they know how. For instance, I would NEVER, EVER ask someone at Joanne's to tear for me. Between them potentially not knowing how and not having great fabric, talk about a potential mess!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Very interesting!!! Thank you.

Originally Posted by AndiR
If you need a visual of why it's better to tear than cut, I have photos on my blog. I tear all wide backs in my shop - due to their width they're more susceptible to being wound 'wonky'. I cut my regular width yardage mainly because more people prefer it that way, although I may tear if I have a bolt that seems really off.

http://andicrafts.wordpress.com/2010...ad-of-cutting/
Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM

I have never seen it done this way. I would ask the sales person to please cut it for me, if she refused I would not purchase the fabric. To me if I want to rip, which I do on backings, I prefer to do it my self.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
Walmart is the worst because they don't train the people . Then they conplain because the fabric dept doesn't show a profit. A little training goes a long way.
Originally Posted by luv-e
I have taken material back to stores because they cut it uneven... I don't like it but to me you get a more accurate cut of material.... Walmart is the worst on their cuts....
I guess it boils down to personal preference.........?
I agree they often don't train people well. Although I have been waited on by people who have been trained and still don't do it right. One department manager kept a note on monks cloth stating that anyone who hadn't been to the training session on how to cut monks cloth were not to touch it. A thread must be pulled in order for it to be cut accurately. I had to stop one employee because she was cutting it like 100% cotton. I was patient with her and explained how to do it correctly. She apologised for her mistake and thanked me for my help. The department manager came up to the counter while I was explaining the correct process and she wasn't pleased with the associate. Wal-Marts in our area no longer carry fabrics or patterns. I'm not happy about that. I used to get some very nice and good quality fabric there and the patterns were always 50% off.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM

I would absolutely prefer ripping to cutting. When you rip it "rips" on the straight grain. I have lost as much as 4-5 inches when they cut it because it was put onto the bolt crooked and when you try to straighten it you lose fabric. Another thing that just irks me is when the manufacturer decides he needs more room to advertise and makes the selvege double wide.