Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Boy jailed for having a permanent marker! >

Boy jailed for having a permanent marker!

Boy jailed for having a permanent marker!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM

they can also sniff them and get high
Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 PM

{patsyo56721 wrote:
It is the Christian worship that is forbidden. We need to get back to the Bible and Prayer in the schools and then there wouldn't be so many problems.}

When they took God out of the School, everything started going downhill. Same for the entire country. When will we all turn back to Him.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 PM

OK, after reading all pages I need to say something. I am a substitute teacher and I think every parent who has kids in public schools should be required to substitute at least once in each school. (elementary, jr. high and high school) Teachers hands are tied. You are not allowed to "make" a kid do anything. You would be surprised at how some kids act at scool. Kids that you know one on one away from school that are sweet and nice are not always that way at school. I have come to realize that when a sub is in the class room, they don't really expect you to do much other than baby sit.(high school) It is not easy to control a big boy that could eigh twice what you do. If hewants to disrut the class there isn't much you can do about it except to send him to detention. I subbed as a teachers aide just before Christas with a retired teacher who was subbing. She was stern and comanding but a couple of the boys in the class still wouldn't do their class work. I watch so many of these kids play with their phones or listen to their ipods and totally disregard anything to do with learning and wonder how these kids are going to fare in the big old world when they are out of school. In high school I have seen boys put their hands down their pants while their friends laugh and hehaw. What can I do? Nothing but write him up or send him to the office with a wright up telling the principal what he did. Then he might get some dentention. This is only one little example. The elementary kids are easier. First thru 5th or 6th are pretty good but 7th and 8th graders are just finding out that they can rebel with teachers and they do. Then eventually you get these kids in high school and it still takes about 2 years for them to settle down if they are going to. Parents tend to believe what the kids tell them about their side of the story. But remember, there are always 2 sides. I live in a small town and there are no more than 16 kids in any class. But when one keeps things in an uproar it interfears with the other kids. I could go on and on. Please remember that I am NOT saying that the kids are bad. They just lak disapline.(sp) I truley think that kids should be taugt that fdor every action there is a reaction and that if you do something you shoulldn't, you are responsible for what you did and responsible for correcting it. Parents don't want their kids punished now a days and they tend to let lots of things slip by because of both parents working and not there to know what their kids are doing when they (parents) are not home. You aren't even allowed to touch a kid in any way. The teachers have to protect themselves from all kinds of things. However, I am not saying that teachers are always right. I was one of those mothers who believed what her kid told her about things that happened at school. Only to find out that wasn't even half of the story. I think my youngest daughter majored in tormenting teachers. I better stop before I really put my foot in it.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 PM

By the way, My key board is acting up and I have to tap a lot of the letters more than once. I really don't spell that badley.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 PM

I got in trouble for having Tylenol in my purse. I had no idea it was there. You know how purses are. Anyway, the principal wanted an excuse to isolate me, I worked in his office in 7th grade, so he dumped out my purse and found the Tylenol. He then proceeded to caress my thigh while lecturing me on drugs in school. It's probably no surprise that I tend to side with the kids on zero tolerance.

As an adult, I worked in another middle school. Seemed like the school was pretty normal until I worked there. Violent kids. I got punched more than once and no one was ever disciplined. Weird world we live in.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny
By the way, My key board is acting up and I have to tap a lot of the letters more than once. I really don't spell that badley.
I was wondering!
I haven't read all of your comment, will go back and do that, but I want to ask you this: Is there anything going on in the schools, educationally, that resembles how YOU were taught or how your children were educated?
Another question I have to persons who defend teachers - - when you knew the laws being passed were bad for children and education, why didn't you speak up or make your union speak up - -
My four children survived public education - - and, thankfully, they were capable of educating themselves, because it wasn't happening in the classroom - - I doubt anything has improved in the fifteen years since the last one graduated, since nothing being taught today resembles what I was taught fifty years ago ...
Good teachers are being driven from the schools in droves (I would hope) because the alternative is to babysit badly behaved students who are only trying to keep up with the poor examples of behavior from teachers who should never have been allowed near the classroom.
Defending the current education system does a dis-service to every student and community ... we need to be educating people about what a GOOD education really looks like and produces. Sadly, I don't see the teachers or the unions making a move to change the degradation - -
as long as the adults in the system insist that there are no moral absolutes, I don't see an improvement in the near future. The symptoms indicate a more serious problem that has managed to contaminate almost every segment of our society. Unfortunately, most never even know that they have been infected. <wave>
Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM

I am not necissarily advocating teachers, per se, The classrooms where I was subing as a teachers aide, The teachers actually do try to teach. The best one I have been in was teaching algebra. I was in there to try to keep ONE boy focused. And from disrupting the whole class. The algebra teacher was a good teacher. That day she told the kids if they would bring her a folder for their papers that she would give them a whole grade to average into their semester grades. A week later I heard her teling other teachers that not one kid brought a folder. An other teachers class I sat in on was a world history class. The teacher seemed like a good teacher to me, but then I am interested in history. A number of kids in the class put their things away and laid their heads on their desk. Several others had ipods stuck in their ears. They are not supposed to have those or phones but if you try to take them away even for the duration of the class you are just causing a big bruhaha and it ruins the class time for the others who are trying to learn. I know that there are some teachers who should not even be teaching but I haven't seen one in our high school. Some times I am there to sit with one kid for X number of days in a room by ourselves because of some diciplinairy action. But I have less problems with these kids than a whole lot of the others. I do not belong to a teachers union or have a degree. I am just a substitute with a high school diploma. That is all we need in the small towns here to be able to sub. I don't know where I was when the rules were made. My kids graduated HS 30 yrs ago. No, I don't think kids are getting the education today that we got 50-60 yrs ago. I truley think discipline or the lack of, plays a big part in it. I am not meaning to step on anyones toes about what I have said. I am truley greatfull that I don't have kids in schools todayI would probably have them half beaten to death before they graduated. (figure of speech here)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Another example "why kids return to schools with guns". If the good kids are treated with disrespect the same as the "bad ones" they begin to feel......Why bother !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM

"There is no common sense in the world anymore and the tenured teachers is absolutely ridiculous after only 3 years of teaching in most cases. Who has a job guaranteed for life with benefits like they do not matter how awful they are. Look at the thousands that sit in some room in New York and get paid for nothing with benefits because they can't get rid of them and won't dare assign them a class. There are so many stories like these and the taxpaper has to pay for idiots. The good teachers are so few and far between it is frightening."

Your facts on tenure are way off here. Tenure does NOT guarantee a teacher a job for life. Tenure only guarantees that the school district must follow due process in terminating a teacher. Those teachers sitting in the room in New York are waiting for their hearings to come up. I saw the same report you probably did and what you missed is that a student in that system only has to make an accusation and, with no evidence, the teacher is automatically removed from the classroom until a hearing.

There seems to be a belief in the general public that teachers and teachers unions have some immense amount of power. That just isn't the case. If it was, we would not be seeing some of the idiotic laws passed by lawmakers who have no clue of what teaching is like. Instead of all the sanctions being placed on the teachers I would like to see some sanctions placed on parents who just can't be bothered to participate in their children's education. I had 1 parent show up for open house. I have a kid (with no medical issues) who only comes to school once or twice a week. Obviously, she is behind academically but I have no power to do anything and, according to the state, her being behind academically is my fault and not due to the fact that she doesn't come to school.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Coming to an understanding of what has gone wrong in our schools takes peeling back the layers of bureacratic and political interference.
Until each of us comes to an understanding of what a school is SUPPOSED to accomplish, we cannot approach our school boards to demand that they teach our children in such and such a manner.
The bottom line of the whole dilemma that has infected almost every facet of our public lives is the extreme tolerance we exhibit for immoral, illogical, and unethical behavior between ourselves, our families, and the community in general.
So many of us have decided that nothing can be done to change the human condition that we choose to hunker down in our bunkhouses and just survive.
Our nation's Constitution was designed for individuals to thrive.
Unfortunately, more individuals in our nation choose to "do what comes naturally" than to rise above the "norm" and become outstanding. We have taught our children to become mind-numbed robots while assuring them that they are "critical thinkers".
Our nation and our schools need a BIG infusion of reality, ethics, morals, and logic. It all starts in each of our own hearts and minds. <wave>