Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 AM

When my FIL passed away MIL gave me back an afghan I had made for him. I was very fond of "Hey Joe" and liked to cuddle up in the afghan I know he cherished. I missed him and enjoyed having the blankie back. Hold on and make a decision later. I'll say a little prayer for your peace.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 AM

My family made a signature quilt for my grandmother for her 85th birthday party. I was the main person on the quilt. I cut and hand quilted it. The day of her funeral my mother got it from her house and gave it to me. We got very little from her house because other relatives felt that it was owed to them so we did not fight to keep the peace but the quilt it hanging in my family room.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 AM

you have received beautiful guidance here. Follow your heart...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marmie
This isn't really a quilting question.But it does have to do with quilts. I recently lost my mother. I had made several quilts for her. My sister has them right now but would like me to come get them.Has anyone else made special quilts for a loved one and gotten them back when they pass away? I just don't know that I want them. Or maybe it's just too soon. One is a Picture quilt, with pictures of her and family. Another is one of sun bonnet Sues and Sams representing all 8 of her children and a couple in the center for her and my father. The second was used at her viewing. I'm wondeering if I should give them away or wait to see if in time it won't hurt so badly to see them. I don't know if anyone else would actually want them. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
I would hold on to them for a while. Then some day you will want to take them out and just hold them and remember your precious mother. It is too soon right now, but you will know when the time is right. One of my sons took his dad's jacket and wears it a lot. It used to bother me to see him in it at first, but now I just feel all fuzzy inside knowing why my son wears that jacket and it has been over 13 years since my husband passed.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 AM

I gave one of my MIL's quilts that I made her to a granddaughter of hers - she just cried with happiness. I couldn't have given her anything better.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 AM

My mom just past way to and I got the quilts back that I made. They are here but I am not ready to see them. Just know the are here. Maybe sometime it wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 AM

I would suggest you keep them for now. There may be another family member down the road who will appreciate them. If there are younger kids who will grow up and may want the memories. I didn't appreciate my grandmothers quilt until I started quilting, then my Mom gave me grandma's quilt and I cherish it. My grand daughter will get it when I am no longer here.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. {hugs}

I think you should hold onto them. Put them away if you have to -I know I probably would- until some time has passed and your grief is not so sharp, but don't make a decision now that you might regret later.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 AM

I also am very sorry for your loss. Please hold onto them because there may be a time when you will be able to cherish them and find comfort from them.

My prayers are with you.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 AM

My dad died Dec 14th, 16 days ago. I had made him a chenile lap quilt for his wheelchair because he was always cold. I had him buried with it to keep him warm. All other quilted items will probably be returned because my brothers don't think they have a use for them. It is hard for me right now, I try not to talk about him because I start to cry.