Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM

I'm jumping in here to see if anyone knows anything about Husqvarna (Viking) machines? This is old, green, looks good, motor sounds terrific but the needle bar won't go up and down. After inspecting through little "windows" (plates screwed on in strategic places) it seems there is a gear that slips away but when it is held in place the bar moves!! Model is CI 21 A. Any help you could give would be appreciated. In papers found in the case, it appears to have been purchased in 1959. No book was included with this machine, only a sheet of paper that describes what the Husqvarna Automatic is equipped with like "new take-up housing, new knob for controlling stitich length, new device for reverse sewing, and, a stop which limits the zig-zag width", with an explanation of each. The new take-up housing is the tension knob!! LOL! Too funny, but you get the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-150231.jpe
Views:	3880
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	150236  
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
I have a 15-90 that I took the external motor off and put the machine in a treadle to use for FM. I once owned two 15-91, internal pot belly motor; sold one and gave the other to my daughter. I have obtained a couple of free machines where the wheels wouldn't turn and after cleaning and oiling they turned smoothly (such a wonderful feeling). I like using a treadle for quilting/sewing since I feel that I have better control of my movement of hands with the speed of treadling. Don't know about a Pfaff, but you will like the Singers. Plus parts are easy to find for the Singer 15s.
Main difference between 15-90 and 15-91 is that the 90 is belt driven, and the 91 has a direct drive, no belt. :-)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Howard
Love that avatar Nancy !!
Thank you Howard or is it Loraine talking?

Nancy
Hi Nancy, we're one and the same ! hehehehe
Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Nancy
So, you are Howard and Loraine. Kind of like naming our Machines??? LOL
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Ok I found a shuttle and bobbin on the internet. Here is the web site http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....922586307.html - they have one for $45! Geeze, I only paid $25 for this machine! Anyway, I sent them an e-mail to find out if their shuttle actually says "davis" on it.

Going by the size of their shuttle, mine is the same size? I wonder if there is something different about the actual Davis shuttle? The picture looks exactly like the two I have and measure the same?

Nancy
Before you spend any more money, let me take some pictures and send them to you. My son's family has been ill, and I have my GD this week. I'm getting nothing done, but it sure is fun. She'll be going home tomorrow, so I will do my best.

Have you tried cheating the needle down slightly in the clamp, and do you have a manual?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Miz Johnny maybe, our machines take the open boat shuttle?

Nancy
Definitely not.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight

Nancy
So, you are Howard and Loraine. Kind of like naming our Machines??? LOL
One of these days I will have to change my avatar. Long story behind Howard. Another time.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have made 4 pants in 4 days, and all that material is baby silk (ugh!) First time sewing with this stuff. Today is a jumpsuit (I'm procrastinating right now). I have been sewing lots of French seams in the past 4 days. Well, my 201treadle doesn't mind, but I do. I think I have hit that stage in my life where working with cottons and quilting is it for me. I'm looking forward to getting back to my quilting projects and clean up that free machine that I got before the holidays. Yup! I would rather make quilts too.
Yup, I told all the kids that I don't sew anymore! Then I actually volunteered to make fancy Halloween costumes -- one was a Genie, 3 layers - lining, silk, overlay, the other one was Alice in Wonderland, again lining, satin, and a corset! Ug! I complained the whole time I was doing them! Quilting is my thing now!

Please post a picture of "that free machine you got before the holidays." I am getting itchy feet to go thrift shop shopping since the garage sales have pretty much stopped for the winter!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Ok are you the one that I had the long private conversations about horse tack. I thought that was Howard?

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
I'm jumping in here to see if anyone knows anything about Husqvarna (Viking) machines? This is old, green, looks good, motor sounds terrific but the needle bar won't go up and down. After inspecting through little "windows" (plates screwed on in strategic places) it seems there is a gear that slips away but when it is held in place the bar moves!!
have several Vikings. I can tell you they're a pain to get into, but it sounds like this one is fixable. I would join the Yahoo group for Vikings pre-1980. There's an OSMG (Bill) on there who knows an awesome amount re: these old Viking's! I've yet to have a question on them he can't answer.