Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two Color Quilt Pattern Suggestions Please >

Two Color Quilt Pattern Suggestions Please

Two Color Quilt Pattern Suggestions Please

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Beebonnet
Hi Carol...My quilt is a mini, measuring 17 x 17 inches. If you look close, you will see that it is a Bear Paw variation. The quilt group I belong to has a challenge 4 times a year. Everyone participating chips in 1 yard of fabric and the color must be season related. Thats why my quilt has all fall colors. The cutters cut each yard into however many ladies are playing. In our case it's around 20. Everyone gets a portion of everyones else's fabric. The challenge is that you must use every fabric contributed somewhere in the quilt. You can use as much of your own as you want Plus you can use one other fabric of your choice. My choice in that quilt was the background. It cannot exceed 18 x 22 inches all around.
I am nearly done with my winter quilt and will post it Jan. 6th.
Oh goodie can't wait to see the next one....i thought it was a bear paw variant...bear paw and autumn are my favorites so your quilt is BEYOOOOOOTIFUL!!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Thankyou Beebonnet, it is a pity I cannot print it off, I will just have to remember the colours. I am the only one in our craft group of four who is into serious quilting, I have the bear claw template so I will have a go.

Regards

Carol
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Beebonnet
Hi Carol...My quilt is a mini, measuring 17 x 17 inches. If you look close, you will see that it is a Bear Paw variation. The quilt group I belong to has a challenge 4 times a year. Everyone participating chips in 1 yard of fabric and the color must be season related. Thats why my quilt has all fall colors. The cutters cut each yard into however many ladies are playing. In our case it's around 20. Everyone gets a portion of everyones else's fabric. The challenge is that you must use every fabric contributed somewhere in the quilt. You can use as much of your own as you want Plus you can use one other fabric of your choice. My choice in that quilt was the background. It cannot exceed 18 x 22 inches all around.
I am nearly done with my winter quilt and will post it Jan. 6th.
What a NEAT idea!! Your quilt is great!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
what about something like this? I used all purple, but you could easily use 2 colors. It is done like a string quilt, just plan where your stripes go. Very easy to do.

hope I posted the right pic!
That is beautiful and simple..mmm right up my alley!! thanks for sharing the pic..Happy New Year!!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I'm doing a dp4 that looks pretty cool with 2 colors
David
What is a dp4?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Disappearing 4 patch... check it out on the board at this site: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55564-1.htm

Hope this helps it is a great example!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Here's a pic of my first block. The colors varied more than my memory thought (guess that means I've had this fabric in my stash longer than I should have :oops:

Paper piecing is more challenging than I remember, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it again once I do a couple more blocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151846.jpe
Views:	6797
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	151851  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Here's a pic of my first block. The colors varied more than my memory thought (guess that means I've had this fabric in my stash longer than I should have :oops:

Paper piecing is more challenging than I remember, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it again once I do a couple more blocks.
WOW! That's beautiful. Where did you find the paper-piecing pattern? I've only seen it done the usual way.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Well.. Hubby helped me load up my new Avatar! This is the quilt "Colours of St. Lucia" which was stolen from the USPS in Loveland, CO. It had been juried into a summer exhibition at the Lincoln Gallery in Ft. Collins - 2001. Never got it back, but at least I have loads of photos (professional for the book Strips 'n Curves) and a ribbon from the Arizona Guild Quilt Show. Even have some memorable scraps! My husband and I sailed around the islands of St. Lucia and Martinique for 10 days in 1997 and this quilt is all about our fabulous experience... snorkeling, etc. You can't see the details, but there's a lot of manipulated fabric, thread painting, applique and even 6 REAL starfish... very tiny but real. They are hiding in the coral made with Bridal Tulle.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM

I love it..great contrast and soothing! can't wait to see the finished product.