Ideas needed

Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Good afternoon everyone, I would like to make a small quilt for my son's 2nd grade teacher possibly a wall hanging or lap quilt..something simple. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Also this is her first year teaching.

Blessings~Deborah
Old 11-07-2008, 10:24 AM

You could make a signiture lap quilt and have all her students sign it. Since its her first year, she will always have them with her.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM

If you can't get the other kids to make squares (using good old fabric markers), have your own child do one. Or trace your son's hand, transfer that to fabric and machine applique them to simple blocks, add bindings and viola. Or if your state has a star pattern block (like we have Ohio Star), or. . or.. or.. I was thinking about doing a wall hanging for my kids' teachers this year too, but I don't think I can dig my way to the sewing machine just yet. . .

You'll get lots of great ideas here!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
bj

You could do simple signature blocks with enough for one per child and one for the year. Then, the day you give it to her, take a fabric pen with you and let each kiddo sign a block. Maybe do one to put in the center with her name on it already. I think that's is such a sweet idea. As a retired teacher I can guarantee she'll love it and treasure it.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM

You could put different squares together of primary colors and then have make handprints to put in each one. If you don't like applique, you could draw handprints in each square and print each child's name in.

You could also get a hold of the principal and explain what you want to do. They are much more forth coming with just first names on a project like that.

Maybe applique'd apples instead of handprints with the kids names on them.

There are tons of options