Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
If you were my Granny.... >

If you were my Granny....

If you were my Granny....

Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by deema
...which would you prefer? :lol:

I wanted to make a quilt for my Granny for Christmas, but time just didn't allow it and I didn't even have the chance to get it started, and bought her something. So I'm going to make one now, and give it to her "just because". But I'm stuck. Granny is 78 and I'm sure she would love anything I made just because I made it for her...but I have too many options and don't know what to do. LOL

I'm making a single irish chain lap quilt. Traditionally, they seem to be just two contrasting colours...Below are my options. One of them is a collection of coordinating FQ's I have that I'd use either each in separate 9P's or all of them in one...I don't know...
She will love whatever you do, but let me suggest you put a fleece backing on it. I love the feel of the fleece and it is warm and flexible. Really makes a quilt special. (I'm your grandmother's age.) PS--the fleece takes a minimum of quilting--you can do as much or as little as you like. I usually do a couple of rows of stitching each directions just to anchor the fleece. I do not put any batting in, but I do look for heavy weight fleece. There is a great difference in the fleeces on the market now. We will be looking forward to seeing your quilt when you get it done.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 AM

How about cream with the fat quarters and make a scrappy kind of Irish Chain? I made my grandma a scrappy Friendship Star with blues in the background and had her pick the border--her favorite of all that was in the quilt. So--the scrappy idea seems to cover a lot of likes...
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 AM

Not a Granny. But totally love "D".
Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I like the FQ's in the last picture best. They seem to fit what I would think an grandmother would appreciate more.

I love that you're going to give it to her "just because" and you already know she will love what ever you make for her.
I agree, they just seem to say grandmother.:)
Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 AM

I vote for "C". They look great together.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:46 AM

I vote for B or D.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 AM

I love "D", but you should really consider your Granny's home and choose the ones that will go best with her home & her personality! Good luck!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 AM

This mimee to 4 grands hates purple. I agree with those who say light and airy. Perhaps a more scrappy quilt. You have a hard choice with this project.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jaynie
I love "D", but you should really consider your Granny's home and choose the ones that will go best with her home & her personality! Good luck!
Well, that's my problem! Any if these will "fit" her and her home. The purple, I think, would stand out the most. The grey swirlies, though a bit more..."modern" than her decor, would still "fit". I'm leaning towards A or D. A because it just gives me such a relaxing vibe. D because it gives more "eye candy". Either would be a perfect match in her living room! LOL

She's got this old crochet afghan on her couch...she must have had it for 30+ years, it's been on her couch longer than I've been around! This afghan has every colour under the sun in it. It's the most god awful ugly thing, but I have many many dear memories involving it and love it. Anyway, the point of telling about the afghan? ANYTHING will match it AND clash against it! :lol:
Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Solid in A with print in B if the colors are correct on my computer.
Rae