Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I think I have the exact machine in your avatar! I got it new in 1964 and have toted it all over the country when we have moved. It has never given me a lick of trouble and I have only had it serviced a handful of times.

I couldn't believe when I found this one in a thrift store! I've only had it a month, but I've used it almost every day and am falling in love! (I bought an earlier, but almost identical model, brand new back in 1963, and it worked without a hiccup for 40 years. I'd still be using it if it hadn't "died" in a freak accident - long story).
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Isn't that neat! Would love to hear the long story!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Hang in there on a 301 cause my daughter found me one at a garage sale for $2.00. Black, long bed, beautiful condition.
While I believe I'll be able to pay less for a 301 than for a FW, I don't hold out hope for getting a jaw-dropping deal like that. To begin with, I've NEVER had luck finding a true bargain at garage sales, and it seems in the Houston area even junkers sell for premium prices.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Isn't that neat! Would love to hear the long story!

Abbreviated long version: just imagine a 40-lb Border Collie who's terrified of noise (thunder, fireworks, sirens) and who literally climbed walls and furniture when frightened. During one of these 'episodes', she somehow got into a closed-off room where the machine was sitting on a huge work table. Everything on the table, including the 30-lb machine wound up on the floor. The repairman said the shaft (or the shank or something) was bent so badly he couldn't remove it to replace it (and, yes, after reading this thread, I've thought more than once that I should have gotten a second opinion).
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM

Have a question about a vintage Japanese machine. The spool holder lies flat for storage and stands up for the spool when sewing. Someone, not me, lost the pin (a cotter, perhaps?) which should be there and jury-rigged it with some type of bristly wire. The wire hurts fingers/hands/whatever part of body it comes in contact with and I've been wondering: Can I replace the old jury-rig with my own? I would use some heavier jewelry wire which I can cadge from older DD who makes jewelry. That at least won't be bristly and I think it would work. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm wide open to suggestions but the spool holder has to be able to move to lay flattish for storage in the cabinet. Thanks in advance. :D
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Have a question about a vintage Japanese machine. The spool holder lies flat for storage and stands up for the spool when sewing. Someone, not me, lost the pin (a cotter, perhaps?) which should be there and jury-rigged it with some type of bristly wire. The wire hurts fingers/hands/whatever part of body it comes in contact with and I've been wondering: Can I replace the old jury-rig with my own? I would use some heavier jewelry wire which I can cadge from older DD who makes jewelry. That at least won't be bristly and I think it would work. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm wide open to suggestions but the spool holder has to be able to move to lay flattish for storage in the cabinet. Thanks in advance. :D
That may work, if she does wirework -- just have her make an eyeloop and then wind the wire around (to look like a skinny spool of thread up the length of wire spindle) -- will look like this when wrapped (pic of a necklace, but you get the idea) My hubby does wire beading (we all got addicted to jewelry making this summer) and wrapping wire is strong with the right materials - I would use like a 20-ga or 18-ga copper wire, it will hold its shape!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-150627.jpe
Views:	181
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	150632  
Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 AM

I use a spool holder or a coffee mug for the spools that do not fit or stay right on my spool holder. Purplefiend has a very pretty spool holder in one of her photos. I have seen a youtube video of gals (somewhere in Asia ?) using Singer treadles and the spool holder was place off to their right front side (of the machine) so that the thread wouldn't get caught in the wheel while in use. May be Billy has a pin to sell you.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 AM
EC

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I use a spool holder or a coffee mug for the spools that do not fit or stay right on my spool holder. Purplefiend has a very pretty spool holder in one of her photos. I have seen a youtube video of gals (somewhere in Asia ?) using Singer treadles and the spool holder was place off to their right front side (of the machine) so that the thread wouldn't get caught in the wheel while in use. May be Billy has a pin to sell you.
Semi-related: A friend told me to put a drinking straw over the spool pin to accommodate larger spools. Works great!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
That may work, if she does wirework -- just have her make an eyeloop and then wind the wire around (to look like a skinny spool of thread up the length of wire spindle) -- will look like this when wrapped (pic of a necklace, but you get the idea) My hubby does wire beading (we all got addicted to jewelry making this summer) and wrapping wire is strong with the right materials - I would use like a 20-ga or 18-ga copper wire, it will hold its shape!
Thanks for the info. Am hoping that this'll work. Sounds like a good idea and thanks again. :) Chris
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Does anyone know the throat width on a 1950s White Rotary 77 MG machine? This little 3/4 size Singer 128 isn't going to help me with fwq.