Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1 >

Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1

Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1

Old 12-31-2010, 08:02 AM

It would seem like, to me, that if we took the string squares, put them right sides together with the strings going in opposite/opposing directions, marked a diagonal line, stitched on both sides, cut apart on the drawn line, we would have half of what she is trying to accomplish.
Then, take the two new squares, draw and stitch in the opposite direction ...
should give us the same configuration for the alternating blocks that she is proposing.
I will try and come back with pictures, but don't know how long it will take, since hubby is working on water issues and setting my new computer back to functioning order. <wave>
Old 12-31-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Just checked out part 7,

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/

and I think there may be a problem.
In part 6, didn't she tell us to create a parallelogram on the ends of the series of 5 HST? I am seeing green squares, but none of the neutral HST we cut and stitched. I am on my way back to read part 6 ... probably a good thing I didn't do any work on it, since I was going to try to do it from memory - - SOMEONE's memory is not too good! LOL <wave>

and, the faulty memory is mine! the parallelograms were on the pink and green ... not the twosies ... got it!
I am glad that my sense of humor is adding to your enjoyment - - sometimes, humor can be sooo distracting! LOL <wave>
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 AM

Nope! It isn't going to work ... if you do as I suggested, your squares will become smaller than the required 10.5" for the next step. Bummer!
I should know that I can't improve on perfection.
That Bonnie Hunter really knows her stuff! <wave>
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 AM

WOW! I could not see this at all in the parts, but it does come together nicely. Corners match, points not lost-and I am happy with my colors too. here are my first two of each part of Step 7.
Now if you lay those parallelograms on the diagonal next to each other, they make a really cool border!

RRCB blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150638[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-150633.jpe
Views:	37
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	150638  
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by BusyB
The parallelogram goes on the ends of the pink/green/pink three-sies originally made in step 1. Then I guess we save those for the border...

My problem is with those dratted string blocks... I just can't finish them. I have discovered that, although they look fantastic, I really don't like making them. Sigh. Only 30 more to go.

But the finished product will be so worth it! This is my first mystery quilt, and I sure picked a winner!
I have noticed a lot of complaints about the string blocks. I would like to have some feedback on what exactly you don't like working with them?
If I were you, I would take those thirty, stitch the first two strips on the first block, then two on the next one, two on the third one, cut the first one loose, add a strip ... and add the next new sheet ...
it is called production sewing, takes the agony of selecting a different strip for a block away by spreading one strip throughout a number of blocks.
the other thing I do while production block stripping is to join the end pieces together until they are long enough to stuff on another block.
For example, one WOF strip will work for about three starting diagonals ... so, cut off the excess part, set it aside until you get the next part cut off. Stitch them together if they are the same width in between one of the other blocks.
does anything I type make the process a bit more interesting? <wave>
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by glenda5253
SadieMae, what are you doing on here at this hour?!? I thought I was the latest night owl of this board.

This quilt is gorgeous!
My feet hurt and I couldn't sleep until my meds worked. I just wandered around, waited until #7 was posted and then went to bed. Problem is that then I sleep until Noon. lol
Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks, omak!

I've been doing them in groups of five, just like you suggest. I guess for me, I don't like them because they're boring. I enjoy piecing and patchwork because I have to focus all my attention on what I'm doing. The time just flies by, and I don't mind it a bit. Whereas with these strip blocks, they're so repetitive and mindless that they seem to take forever, even though a group of five takes less than an hour and half. If I want something mindless, I'll pick up my crocheting! But with quilting, I like to be constantly engaged.

Don't get me wrong, they sure look nice! And they're a great addition to the quilt. They're just not for me, I guess.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM

RE: string blocks
I did them in groups of five too, and chain pieced as much as I could. I am not sure why I didn't like them, maybe because of all the neutrals, and again maybe just the sheer number of blocks that had to be done. The finished block adds depth and texture to the overall quilt and I am glad I stuck with them. But I am not going to do many more of them anytime soon!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Another suggestion is sewing all your strips together until you get about a yard of fabric sewn together. Then, angle your ruler and cut them into the size of the blocks you need. You waste some fabric but it beats stopping and starting over 60 times.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer
Another suggestion is sewing all your strips together until you get about a yard of fabric sewn together. Then, angle your ruler and cut them into the size of the blocks you need. You waste some fabric but it beats stopping and starting over 60 times.
WOW! This suggestion has almost convinced me to do another of this mystery quilt. That is a really good idea. Thank you!
And, I think I found the reason a lot would balk in the one quilter who wrote: the sheer number
I am the one who prefers to sewing a hundred of one thing, rather than produce a hundred different things (factory mindset, and the brain of a person entertained by a lava lamp) ... production of LOTS is definitely a problem for many of us. And, you are right - - that is a situation that is not remedied by any suggestions.
At least, I can understand it better and appreciate that you could help me realize the difference. Thank you <wave>