Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by FranW
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else - put them away for now. When the time is right you will know what to do. Blessings to you.
Prayers and blessings
Old 12-31-2010, 12:51 PM

Please keep them -- perhaps in a pillowcase where you cannot see them for a while. I have two that I made for beloved aunts and they were returned to me when they died. I now treasure them as it is really all I have from those dear people.
One aunt was in a nursing home and I put her name in large letters all over it as part of the pattern. I used all the names she was called, auntie, Gram, Mrs. ... , etc. I did not want it getting moved around the nursing home. I now cherish the quilt and use it in the guest room.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Marmie
This isn't really a quilting question.But it does have to do with quilts. I recently lost my mother. I had made several quilts for her. My sister has them right now but would like me to come get them.Has anyone else made special quilts for a loved one and gotten them back when they pass away? I just don't know that I want them. Or maybe it's just too soon. One is a Picture quilt, with pictures of her and family. Another is one of sun bonnet Sues and Sams representing all 8 of her children and a couple in the center for her and my father. The second was used at her viewing. I'm wondeering if I should give them away or wait to see if in time it won't hurt so badly to see them. I don't know if anyone else would actually want them. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
Marmie, shortly after I learned to quilt, I made a lap quilt for my dear FIL. It was made from a kit and had farm scenes on it...perfect for a retired farmer. After he passed away, the family gave it back to me, and I gladly accepted it. What makes it so special is that, when I gave it to him, he was so pleased and proud of it. He related that when his youngest sister died, there were some quilts and other handiwork she had made, and his mother gave everything away, not even offering any to my FIL, so this one item I made for him is very special...and my youngest grandson likes to curl up under it when he is tired. His middle name is in honor of his great-grandpa...Anthony.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:36 PM

This isn't really a quilting question.But it does have to do with quilts. I recently lost my mother. I had made several quilts for her. My sister has them right now but would like me to come get them.Has anyone else made special quilts for a loved one and gotten them back when they pass away? I just don't know that I want them. Or maybe it's just too soon. One is a Picture quilt, with pictures of her and family. Another is one of sun bonnet Sues and Sams representing all 8 of her children and a couple in the center for her and my father. The second was used at her viewing. I'm wondeering if I should give them away or wait to see if in time it won't hurt so badly to see them. I don't know if anyone else would actually want them. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
I feel for you as my parents have been gone for 12 & 13 yrs, respectively. However, my husband & I lost our youngest daughter (age 23) of five children, June 9,2009. We belong to a parents' bereavement group called The Compassionate Friends(international, nonprofit with chapters all over the world). Anyhow, this organization suggests that you don't make any major decisions/changes for at least one year, to allow yourself to grieve. So, speaking from experience, I suggest you store those items & decide what to do later. I'm thankful I have done just that, being able to be more at peace with myself. (There's some things I haven't gotten to yet!) Allow yourself to decide on your own timing; no one should tell you what you can or cannot do. Waiting may prevent further grief/any regrets further down the road. God bless you & keep you during this time!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think you just need some time. I'm sure in time, as the pain eases a litte, you will look at those quilts and all the love you put into them, and so many wonderful memories of your mom will coming flooding in, and then you will charish those quilts. Be easy on your self and give your self some time.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM

I lost my dear mom about 15 years ago. She was a quilter. She is the one along with my grandmother that taught me to quilt. I would suggest that you keep the quilts. If you give them away there will come a day that you will wish you had kept them. I do not have any of my moms quilts. My sister and my brother have one. I really do not know what happened to all of her quilts. It makes me sad that I do not have any of them. But it does my heart good to know that I am continuing the tradition of quilting that she left in my heart. So I say keep them even if you just have to pack them up for a while. You will be glad that you did.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 AM

I agree, I think you should keep them, even if you don't want them some of the other family members might. Just give yourself some time to grieve and heal from your loss.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 AM

I know that the loss is overwhelming right now but I think this is great that your sister is going to pass them back to you. I've lost several members of my family. I can understand your feelings that you are going through right now.

If I was going through what you are going through right now, I would not make any decisions at this time. I would put the quilts away in a closet and wait a year. Then I would make a decision. I think that you will find that you will have a different outlook about the quilts. You may, at that time, give them away but when you do, you won't have tht overwhelming feeling of loss. I think that seeing the quilts in a year will give you a warm feeling of love that you had made those quilts for your mother and how much she enjoyed them.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:36 PM

I made a 60th Anniversary quilt for my in-laws many years ago. When they passed away it was returned to me. I still enjoy looking at the pictures and of course, the hairdos and the styles of clothing, the little children, now grown, etc. It is a treasure chest of memories. Take them back, I think you'll enjoy them later if not now.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM
mel

My brother died in october. I have a blanket that we had gotten him when he was in the hospital. He never used it...I dont have the heart to unwrap it and thought I might give it to good will. My son wants me to keep it. Your quilt was so much more personal. Please tuck it away .. someone, smeday will cherish it! My heart goes out to you.