Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I keep my ruler from slipping? >

How do I keep my ruler from slipping?

How do I keep my ruler from slipping?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:05 PM

just spray the back with adhesive spray and let it dry for a couple minutes, it works great, you can always take it off with rubbing alcohol
Old 12-31-2010, 03:43 PM

I love sandpaper dots (4-8 on the long rulers), Invisigrip works well, also, but here's a quickie tip. Depending on the size of your ruler, put a few small dots of clear nail polish on the back and sprinkle salt on them. Once they wear off, do it again. JoAnn's sell sandpaper dots and many quilt shops have the Invisigrip or get it on-line. Also, when using a long ruler (24") "walk" your left hand up the ruler while using the blade in your right hand.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mpark
How do I keep my ruler from slipping when cutting strips. I am holding down the ruler with my left hand and moving it when I cut, but it is still slipping.
no one has mentioned to keep a finger or two hanging off the edge of the ruler onto the fabric. Of course, not off on the cutter side. That seems to help along with the sand paper dots. :roll: :roll:
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ann clare
I put sandpaper dots on the 4 corners.
Ditto
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
There is a roll of blue-ish clear tape (feels like saran wrap) that you can stick to the ruler. It is non-intrusive and you can definitely feel the difference.

http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl...t/050418_a.asp

Another tip I can give you is DO NOT hold the ruler in the middle. Instead, hold it at the lower third and cut only as far as your hand, then walk your hand up to the next section and cut some more until you have made a complete cut.
And have your little finger off the side of the ruler(away from the rotary cutter side) and use a little pressure to steady the ruler.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 PM

I tried the felt things on the tips and it didnt work for me so right now until I get something better I am using strong clamps to hold to cutting mat on both end out of the cutting way
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 PM

I swiped some of hubbies sand paper. I cut little squares off of it and stuck them on almost all of my rulers. The bigger ones have more dots than the smaller ones. I try to keep them out of the way of measure marks that I use a lot though.

I've taken the narrow strips of double sided tape from my scrapbook supplies for my smaller rulers. My only advice on that one is to leave a little hangy piece at the end to pull it back up with when it needs replaced. I only use this on the short ruler types though.

I've heard you can make your own dots with a hot glue gun. You just put little dollops on, let them dry and that's that. They should pop right off too when you want to replace or move them.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM

thank you for the great ideas
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
There is a roll of blue-ish clear tape (feels like saran wrap) that you can stick to the ruler. It is non-intrusive and you can definitely feel the difference.

http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl...t/050418_a.asp

Another tip I can give you is DO NOT hold the ruler in the middle. Instead, hold it at the lower third and cut only as far as your hand, then walk your hand up to the next section and cut some more until you have made a complete cut.
Thank you, I never thought of that.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM

On the Fons and Porter show that I watched today, their tip was to use the plastic from a food sealing appliance on the back of your rulers. It is clear so no problem with not seeing measuring lines.