Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting scraps, keep or throw out? >

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 PM

I always find use for the smallest of scraps!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I am just finishing my 3rd pieced quilt so I am definitely a newbie. I have learned so much from this site and am addicted to checking the boards once or twice a day. I love the creative and beautiful ways people have used fabric scraps but what about the batting. I have quite a bag full of strips approx 2" wide plus odds and ends from other projects. What do you do with them? They definitely take up space. Thanks for any suggestions.
I use everything, I'm making a biscuit quilt for me, and stuff the biscuits with the batting and anything else thats not nailed down. You could send it to Denver lol. :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 PM

Traveling quilters who hand piece complicated quilt blocks (I know, everyone is rolling their eyes now), can use their larger flat batting scraps as pages in a book. Page size will be determined by the largest block you piece. Stack the pages and sew along the left side to make the book. Pin one complete block in its proper layout per page. If the pins face vertically, you can roll the book up and tie it with a ribbon without getting poked. Otherwise just tie the open side of the flat book with attached ribbon. The book pages are good for storing the finished blocks until all are completed. This method is also good in 'loose leaf' form for anyone who belongs to a hand piecing Quilt Go Round group where each person is working on one of your blocks.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:25 PM

I'm trying to find a tutorial for quilt-as-you-go log cabin block I saw somewhere to make pot holders. These use up strips of batting, I don't throw anything usable away as my financial means are meagre to say the least. My grand children love stuffed anything"animals", the oldest kid will be 19 this year and he's heartbroken because his rhino I knitted when he was 4 yrs finally fell apart.He asked me to make a new, quilted one,so I will use batting scraps for stuffing.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:26 PM

If the batting scrap is big enough to cover a book I might save it. I trash the small stuff. I use an "edge joining foot" & butt the edges together and zig zag without overlapping pieces. I have not been able to detect batting seams inside the finished quilt.
If you are hand quilting, the seams might be a pain to stitch through. I have saved so much stuff over the years. I'm ready to set myself free.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 PM
QM
Power Poster

If I have fluffy, poly scraps, they are kept for stuffing. I keep a few small pieces as cleaning cloths, I use larger pieces for potholders and small projects.

One of my favorite things to do is to take 12-20" squares of batting and use them as foundations for scrappy blocks. When I put the tops together, I use narrower pieces to go behind the sashing and border strips.

I do sew pieces together to make larger ones.

However, both time and space are limited, so I think it is important to reach an understanding with yourself as to what is worth keeping....then follow your own rule.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 AM

I use the left over batting for future quilts "Quilt as You Go". I cut them into squares 13", 12", 10", 9" etc. and save them until I have enough to create a quilt from baby to king. This process is quick and easy. When you have connected all the blocks, it is quilted and you just have to bind it. If you are interested in this method write me at [email protected] and I'll send you a set of instructions via email.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:27 AM

I love this idea. It is perfect for me to do also. I have a huge fence and more scraps than birds. I like to make "rag" quilts (that may not be the proper name) sew two pieces of scraps together, keep adding pieces in any direction until you get the size you want. You can sew this to a back for stablization or not. If it works for you continue on with the method you are using.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I am just finishing my 3rd pieced quilt so I am definitely a newbie. I have learned so much from this site and am addicted to checking the boards once or twice a day. I love the creative and beautiful ways people have used fabric scraps but what about the batting. I have quite a bag full of strips approx 2" wide plus odds and ends from other projects. What do you do with them? They definitely take up space. Thanks for any suggestions.
There is a "tape" you can buy @ your local quilt shop that lets you iron batting scraps together and you cannot find the place where they are put together once you use them. The tape is not too expensive and you just iron it on one side. It works great!!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by fabricmaniac
Originally Posted by Qbird
Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I put the small scraps in a bag I have sewn (using fabric I don't need for anything else - or something I don't like anymore) and when it is full I sew up the end and give it to the Humane Society for them to use as animal beds.
What size bag would they like filled? i.e. size of animal beds.?
In our guild we either use old pillow cases, or construct new ones not quite as big. Small puppies and old dogs (and kitties) just love them. Due to trial and error, I suggest stitching wide columns first and then stuffing the "tubes". Without any stitching at all, the filling (we use fabric scraps as well) just shifts too much and becomes one big lump. Of course, you could tie them, but that's a little too laborious.
Do you need to cut the batting into any particular size pieces or just stuff the tubes with any size? Also do you know if all Humane Societies accept these donations or should each state check with their own branch?