Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric moratorium >

Fabric moratorium

Fabric moratorium

Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM

I would be willing to start this on January 1st . I am not ready to give up those Dec. 26 to Dec. 31 fabric sales on this short notice.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 AM

Count me in! Hopefully this will help me take control of my ever growing stash. I think it feeds on itself and multifies just to confuse me.
I do reserve the right to buy if I need to,in order to complete my monthly swaps. I don't consider this adding to my stash and it is something I really enjoy. yes,it is possible to shop from my stash first.
Good luck everyone, lets encourage each other! We can do this!!!
Phyllis in Mo.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Ordered the fabric to finish two quilts, same fabric for the same two quilts. **It doesn't coordinate**. Darn! Do I get to buy more??? First I am going to see if another one I bought can be used. Both quilts are Civil War samplers. Then I stopped at a LQS and didn't buy anything, plus I went to Joann's yesterday and didn't buy anything. I'm trying. But today I went to Good Will and bought 2 pieces totally 10 3/4 yd for $5.15. Does that count? :-) Remember I helped the poor. :lol:
Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM

I've really cut back on my buying, using up lots of my stash but I couldn't commit. Way too many temptations out there!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm. Seems like lots of folks getting on the band wagon just came back from a shopping trip/online ordering frenzy. I don't think I'll be joining, however, I was thinking of no stash-only purchases. Just buy exactly what I need for a specific project. (Unless there's a really really good sale.)
Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 PM

I don't need to reduce stash as it's not that big to begin with. My moratorium is strictly for budgetary reasons. Still, I have blocks from several swaps on the Board that need to be put together and fabric for several projects that I'd already lined up. Plenty to keep me going for the coming year and probably longer (I'm a slow quilter). I'm challenging myself to see how long I can go . . . well beyond next November I'm sure.

Because I'm doing this to reduce expenditures, I'll still buy fabric if I have a gift card. I'm looking forward to a trip sometime soon to Fabric Depot. :-D
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 AM

I got such a surprise yesterday! Here I've commeted myself to no more buying except for the one swap that is held every month. I completly forgot that I commited myself to the secret pal swap. I love this kind of swap! It feels so good to make or buy something for somebody else!I am keeping up with both swaps. I am going to try to juggle the swaps and no spending for myself unless it is something I need to complete a quilt or what ever I am working on.
I think I can do it! I have so many ufo's that I am going to finish in 2011. I am skipping all the sales and I think that is a first for me.
My niece is having a baby in either May or June. I want to make a quilt for her and I don't have baby fabric. Plus she isn't going to know if the baby is boy or girl. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!
Phyllis in Mo
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
bj

One month into and I have only bought one fatback to finish a quilt for my grandson. I didn't have a piece big enough to back and I don't like to piece backs. I did order enough to have a bit extra (O: just in case!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:16 PM

well, I am in. Have told my husband and daughter so they hold me accountable. It won't be easy.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 AM

I’m sticking with my commitment for no fabric purchases except what is needed for a quilt in progress. It was difficult Tuesday at our guild meeting. We had a garage sale and there were some really good buys on beautiful fabric. I limited my purchase to some fabric for Home of the Brave Quilts I am making. I picked up a few pieces for my stash on the “free” table.