Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Fabric to Cover My Wall >

Using Fabric to Cover My Wall

Using Fabric to Cover My Wall

Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 PM

What cool ideas you get. you could make a sampler quilt block wall. lol
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 PM

I never heard or thought about this. Thanks for bringing it up. I learn something new everyday!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM

I think you can using fabric starch. You completely wet the fabric in the starch and roll it on the wall just like wallpaper. the starch makes it stick.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Hey you guys - Thank you so much for all your wonderful ideas. I really liked the Nate video and I think that is how I am going to try it. I can't quite figure out what to do with the selvages. If I cut them off the edges probably won't be even, and if I leave them on I don't know how to hide them. There really isn't a lot of wall to cover because there is a big window in it. If I can figure out how to hide my seams, I think I have it made.
Oh - this is so exciting!
Thanks again for all your inputs.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM

I was thinking earlier you could use wood trim like at home depot for the salvage edges. they even have that thin fancy trim. it would just take tac nails or dang I cant remember what you call them now, they dont have a head on them, very thin, and they match the color of wood they will be used in. dang me.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 PM

My sister & I did the starch method many years ago & loved the final results. Her fabric was rather light-weight & since we worried about it stretching, we used some iron-on Pellon & then trimmed off the selvage edges (the iron-on sealed the eges nicely & everything came out fine. We stitched together the side seams only at one place where we didn't want to chance the starch coming loose, but it probably wasn't necessary. A few years later, she took it down, washed it & used the fabric for something else.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM

they are called finishing nails and come in shades of tan to dark brown.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM

i have done this several times i use decopage i paint it on the walls then applie the material to the wall by soaking your fabric it would cause streaching and bunching and when the materil dries it some times shrinks as i put the material on the wall i use tacks to hold it inplace one i have all the material adheared i start painting it with decopage untill i get the look i want i than open the window and spay a sealer which keeps the decopage from getting sticky in the warm sun. the decopage and sealer makes the fabric washable with a damp spong elmers glu does work as a decopage you can get the decopage in a gloss or satin finish you will also wannt to get you spray sealer in the same typ surface
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

cool idea for a redesign of my sewing lair... and I can change it whenever I want to and still use the fabric. Cool!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:37 PM

A long time ago I saw the idea in a magazine and I covered my bedroom walls with a beautiful paisley printed fabric. I just stapled it on the walls because with all the designs, the staples just didn't show. I loved having fabric on the walls! Let us see the results.