Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing help with handquilting. >

Needing help with handquilting.

Needing help with handquilting.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 AM

What is stitch in the ditch mean?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Hello and welcome to the Quilting Board. I just joined a couple of days ago, also. The RA and vision can sure cause a problem, when trying to handquilt. Crocheting and knitting helps to keep my hands limber, so that I am able to quilt by hand. This forum is addicting, so enjoy.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Hello, I am a hand quilter too! Just enjoy it so much, just ask any questions as they arrive, since everyone here can help. I see there are several Ohio quilters here. Great!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Welcome
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 AM

Stich in the ditch, hand or machine quilting along the seams of a quilt.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 AM

I hand quilt all my quilts. I've never used the tape but think it might be useful in this situation. I don't usually quilt in the ditch but usually just outline whatever pattern is in the quilt (squares, triangules, figures, etc.). I try to get 6-7 stitches per inch but this is not always the case. Rather than stitch in the ditch I try to quilt just next to the seam line as this seems to make the square or whatever more prominent.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM

I love to hand quilt small items -- wallhangings and baby quilts, etc. I do not use a hoop and use 505 spray basting. If you press the item after you get all 3 layers together, the 505 will adhere forever ;-) thus making it easier to hand quilt without everything moving around. My goal this year is to hand quilt a bigger quilt.... :roll:
Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM

You might try the blue painters tape to mark where you want to quilt. It might have enough contrast and is easy to use and won't stick to much. Outline your blocks or motifs and don't worry how many stitches an inch, just be consistant and do use a hoop. You want it loose enough that a cat would be comfy, think small hollow, and so you can feel the needle. Just rock the needle up and down and away you go.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Quilting thread is directional...as is all thread but quilting thread has gone through an extra process to add the sizing and is on the spool backwards to normal thread. So with quilting thread tie your knot before you cut it off the spool and your knot will always be at the correct end and you won't get knots in your thread as often. Regular thread you knot the end you cut off the spool. If using regular thread coat with beeswax to give it the extra strength.
And I only use English needles. They don't seem to have the burrs that US needles have in the eye area.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Hi
I am just new to quilting. As a matter of fact, I have never tried it before, but have the urge now to try it. I was wondering though if it is possible to do one for my granddaughter and have a picture of her on it, and if so, how do put the picture on it. Seeing as I never quilted before maybe I would like to try that on a Doll quilt. Thank you for any replies.