Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 AM
gus

I have the cutters also One broke and they replace it free. I love them have right and left hand and use all the timw
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
The "grab it" magnetic pin holders work well, but I've broken 2 by knocking them off my quilting table...so I went to an auto repair shop and bought a magnetic bowl....it's metal....and doesn't break when I have an uncoordinated moment. I love and use the June Taylor strip ruler every time I make a quilt....I use it for strip cutting blocks and binding....it's 12 inches square and has got a slit every 1/4 inch.
I also love my June Tailor strip cutter - much more accurate than my arthritic hands.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
Originally Posted by sewhip
Originally Posted by boohoofish
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
Yes, I just had to have it - but I'll be darned if it actually sharpened anything!
You have to watch out about which side you use first, the rough side first, twirl it a few times, then the smooth side, twirl it a few times. If you reverse the order it will dull the blade.
I love the sharpener! I have not bought a new blade in 10 years. I think the trick to using it is to always turn the sharpener clockwise - do not twist it back and forth. My dad taught me to sharpen knifes with a wheel turned sharpening stone way long ago and that is how he taught me.
I, too, have & love the sharpener. We are each individuals - no one item will or will not woke for all! :+)
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM

My 20 1/2 inch squaring up ruler. Just thought I needed it and boy was it a waste of money. I find kits are a waste as I loose interest in them before I use them. I have bought too many rulers but will eventually use them as the numbers are coming off of some of them.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 AM

The suction cup things don't do anything for me except cause me to waste fabric when I'm cutting. The best thing was something that a friend made for me that is very simple to make. You make a small to medium size pin cushion and then attach a strip of elastic long enough to fit your wrist. Then you'll alway have a pin handy.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 AM

The easiest, cheapest thread catcher is a piece of batting or fleece, taped on or around the machine, and when it gets full I throw it away.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 AM

A purple thang is about 6 inches long, eye on 1 end curve on the other.I use it like a giant needle for threading elastic or anything else in a waistband, pulling ribbon through lace, as a stilleto (much safer than a metal stilleto) at my machine and for other things but those are my favorites. I love mine if it ever breaks I will replace it.

Longarm
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 AM

What Cutter?

I guess gadgets are like anything else, some people love them others dislike them. That's what keeps the gadget people in business, always coming out with new things for people to try. Some I've purchased were a waste but I can always pass them on for someone else to try (that person may love them).

Longarm
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 AM

There have been several posts about cutters, the simplicity which most people dont care for, the accu quilt go, the alto 2 and the true grace rotary cutter. I have owned all of these so here are my thoughts, the simplicity cutter, a waste of time and money, the accu quilt go, some love it, I didn't because of fabric waste, 1/4 inch on four sides of a 2 inch square equals 25% fabric loss, the alto quilt cutter 2 which I sold my "go" to purchase and happen to love despite its weight (stays put), and the true grace rotary cutter which has a groove to ride along their special ruler, as a team the two are unbeatable for cutting perfect strips, or whatever. Hope this answers your question.:)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 AM

A purple thang is a wonderful inexpensive tool. It works as a stilletto, a point turner, the flat side will press your seams open, it will stuff polyfil or batting into small places, just an over all "good thing"