I have bad news.......

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 AM

It is so very sad when something like a hobby gets to be so expensive.... think about this... quilting/knitting/crochet or sewing in general used to be a "necessity"... it's now supposed to be for pleasure,,, and not cost effective at all... I'm at a lucky place in my life and can afford to enjoy the hobby,,, but i am determined to use the enormous stash i've managed to create over the years... i am going to pic colors from my "wall" of fabric and if need be, get a solid to work them together..(sheets can work too, i've found out).. they will probably be for charity or raffles anyway..
I worked in yarn shops and fabric shops all my life.. home dec as well, so needles to say, my sewing room is "stuffed" to put it mildly, but i'm gonna "work it down"...
ps... for those of you that haven't visited... there is a site called "quiltville" that has the most wonderful girl sharing her scrap ideas for organizing and storing and making.... Bonnie Hunter i believe,,, check the site and you'll be there for hours.. finding ways to use up all that you have, no matter what color!!!! i think!!!!
HNY... hugs Barbara
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM

They've closed the Hancock's chain stores around me but do you all realize that Hancock's of Paducah is NO RELATION to the chain Hancocks? H of P has the MOST fabulous line of all fabrics and notions and their Batiks will make you cry! Their prices are no higher (if not lower) than the average quilt shop and of course in the actual store in KY and on their website (www.hancocks-paducah.com) they have sales. If you ever get the chance to shop the store while at the AQS Quilt Shows you will think you've arrived at the Pearly Gates!! Ask for their catalog!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM

I havent bought any fabric at a Joannes store for several years as their quality of fabric is poor, however I have found some poor quality fabrics at LQS also. We will just have to be a wise shoppers. I am lucky enough to have a large stash and will be using that up before buying more. I live 90 miles from the nearest quilt shop and gas was $3.22 a gallon a couple of weeks ago. Guess Ill just have to stay home and sew.
PS Barbara I love, love, love Quiltville. Bonnie has some wonderful ideas.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Forgot to mention, yard sales and auctions are great places to add to a stash if the family had a crafter that is down sizing. Have found some great things.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

I just went on to Hancocks of Paducah's site and they have hoards of fabric on sale. I just bought several half yards and whole yards for as LITTLE AS $1.99/HALF YARD!!! ANY quilting fabric you buy from H of P is the very best quality.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM

I never, never thought you'd hear me saying this but before I will pay JoAnn's prices, I would go to a local quilt shop or to Hobby Lobby & pay their prices. Even if it meant buying less fabric. It's a shame how JoAnn's has went up & up on their fabric in the yrs that I've been quilting but now they are using the price of cotton going as an "excuse" to raise their prices. I love JoAnn's but I think they are pricing themselves right out of the quilter's market.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Was in Georgia over Thanksgiving and there are plenty of cotton fields there. So why do we have to buy cotton from over seas? There is plenty here in the United States.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM

I can remember buying fabric in the 50's for 19 cents.....could make a gathered skirt for less than 75 cents.......i guess i won't buying much fabric for awhile as i have a large stash and if i do it will have to be on sale.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 AM

That explains why when I was at Joanns this past Thursday to get some fabric the calico's were 9.99 a yard. Oh man never paid much attention. At the rate that fabric is going up in price eventually none of us will be able to afford to buy any fabric. :( Im sad too.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 AM

I think they are too. What a shame.