Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mari Michell templates >

Mari Michell templates

Mari Michell templates

Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm using them for a BOM through the local quilt shop. You have to trim the corners. I found them to be a lot more time consuming than other. Maybe it's just that I'm new and need to learn more about them.
I like my easy angle ones better. Had to buy two packages to use for the next three years, maybe by then I'll get it down really good. Little pieces!!!. But they line up better.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM

I bought the B and D sets which allow the quilter to make many different blocks that will measure 12" finished which is the size I most often use. The templates are accurate and the pieces line up exactly. The templates are fairly small but it you cut the exact strip width first and cut all those pieces at the same time and are making several blocks the same, it goes much more quickly. I also bought one of her books showing even more blocks so you could get a lot of quilting blocks out of her set and book.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM

I am just finishing up a BOM at a LQS using these templates. The quilt is 'American Beauty' and it is turning out great. I have never used templates before so I challenged myself to do this. I really enjoyed the process. The templates are off sized, measuring the 1/16 and 1/8. The blocks go together beautifully. No squaring up and all the blocks measure 12.5 unfinished.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM

I've made 2 of her BOM quilts, but cut my own templates for them out of template plastic.
They went together very well.

My old copies of
Quiltmaker magazine have a pattern for a "trimming corners" template for 45 deg triangles. I didn't trim some of the Marti ones, but found the trimmed ones did go together much easier.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM

I have used her (Marti Michell) templates on the American Beauty BOM quilt. In the beginning, I found the entire cutting process a bit difficult. However, I did learn some short cuts. Now that I have used them for several months, I find that I do not mind them, at all. And, the blocks go together quite well.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I think that's the BOM we are going to be doing...is it a patriotic theme?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I think that's the BOM we are going to be doing...is it a patriotic theme?
No, it is a floral fabric in 2 color ways for the quilt. A light or a black.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM

ok, that's good to know..thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM

I have used them also with "Patch Work Party" block of the month. They are costly, so I used the template patterns that are included with each block, traced them onto template plastic, and cut them out. Then I ironed and starched fabric, folded it eight sides together according to the pattern layout on the instructions, and traced the template on the back side of the fabric. They can then be cut out with a rotary cutter, or I found it easier to cut out with fabric scissors. The block went together perfectly, and I saved a lot of money.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 AM

A friend has these templates and loves them.