Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM

My most special Christmas gifts were from my children - an hour long professional massage and a rearranged sewing room. I need both for FMQ! I have a large table with double drop leaves (always up, but can be lowered for more floor space) for my cutting table. It is set at a right angle to a large writting desk(no drawers, just 4 legs that don't get in my way). They are the same height. My machine sits on the desk (at almost right angle to large table), large table is on my left while I sew. I keep my cutting mat on the table always. While FMQ, most of the quilt is draped on the table and to the left of and behind my machine (on the desk). I also have a portable laptop table (like a hospital bedside table) which I keep to my right side. That gives me a place for scissors, pin cushions, stuff. I'm all cozy, not too boxed in. I even hauled in my oversized ironing board during my last- days-before-Christmas sewing marathon. I always knew I could get more done faster if I had a donut-shaped desk, with me in the middle! I just have to remember to stop and relax.

I wear a glove on my left hand and grip with my right hand. I'm sure that indicates some sort of distorted control issues, non-quilting related!

And I have created (in my mind) a magnetized pin cushion that will sit on top of my sewing machine, out of the way but convenient to stab! I'll let you know how that works out.

My in-laws admiring their Christmas present
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152348[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-152343.jpe
Views:	37
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	152348  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I could really use that hug now...I have no one here in Delaware to quilt with or talk to about it...family not into crafts, only children are sons and I work 2 jobs...oh well...thanks
Accept a hug from Oklahoma. I've lived in places where I didn't have any quilting friends either - wish I had this forum back then. Hang in there and stay connected with other quilters. Ask around - I bet you can find someone. I used to live in Dover DE but that was before I quilted.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bluehouse
I am having a tough time with my free motion too..... I am going to get "The Slippery Slider".....that looks like it might help.
I have the super slider and it works OK. But I bought a teflon oven liner at Bed, Bath and Beyond ($(9.99 plus used a 20% off coupon). You need to tape it down but it works great. Works as an applique press cloth also.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 PM

While I have not read all 11 pages of hints for FMQ, I am sure most of them say something about practicing forever. FMQ is not an easy thing to learn because it is not like using a pencil which you move to form letters or drawings. Instead FMQ can be compared to moving the paper under the pencil. Tricky, yes, but with practice it will come.

The way I taught myself was to make stars first. For some reason the straight line, then a stop, then reverse my mind to make the next straight line, stop again, etc seemed to work for me. You remember those five lined stars we made in grade school? Those are the ones I am talking about. My first line was about 2-1/2 to 3 inches.

Once I got that in my mind, I ventured on to curves. Hearts seemed to be the easiest for my curving lessons in addition to trying to write your name.

Good luck. You CAN do this. :)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM

I did some practicing on small quilted scraps to get the feel of free motion quilting. Now I am working on my first charity doing FMQ and it looks like a disaster! I could really use some help and tips. I just want to do swirls all over the little quilt and mine look like jagged circles. I lowered the tension to 3 and I dropped the feed dogs...Oh I don't know...I am just upset but I really want to do a nice job! Please help...tips anything...thanks
If your circles come out pointy -- call them leaves.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM

My dogs have some great looking quilted pieces to lay on, they love the FMQ practice pieces, I used a large square of fabric and with a pair of quilting gloves found that I had better control of my quilt. Don't be afraid, it just takes practice, besides,you are donating your product to a charity, they will love something that you made my hand, Good Luck, and Happy New Year
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
QM
Power Poster

I do my FMQ on my home machine, so it is more like writing. In fact, some of the things I did first were words and phrases, which helped a lot in getting control. My LA friends alwasy practice first with a fat pen on newsprint.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM

any ideas as to why the loops on the back?
You might have to tighten the tension, mine goes up to 6. APART FROM THAT PRATICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE AND DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A BREAK EVERY 20-30 MINS OR SO, GOOD LUCK WITH IT, I PROMISE IT WILL GET MUCH BETTER. :thumbup: GOOD ON YOU FOR TRYING.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 PM

An artist that I follow, (his painting methods, that is :))
once gave this timely advice. "Remember the three P's:
Practice, Patience and Persistance." I try to follow his advice in my paintings and quilting.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM

are you using fmq gloves to guide your quilt?
I found that the basic rubber gloves for washing dishes work well and I have more control of the quilt.