Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Machines? >

Quilting Machines?

Quilting Machines?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM

I bought my Brother machine at Wal Mart about six years ago and I love it! Never a repair - the throat isn't big, but I have quilted a Queen size with just doing waves lines - have to roll the quilt to fit thru. Smaller sizes quilt just fine.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM

How about looking at purchasing a machine from a different angle? Years ago I worked for a sewing machine retail store. We used to take in perfectly good machines turned in for an upgrade type of machine. While there may be lemons out there, I think you'll be OK buying used if you take the time to work with a reputable dealer. That person will know what they have available for purchase and should be able to provide a couple of classes to show you how to operate the machine.

But hold on ... there's another reason to consider buying a used machine from a dealer. They should do a check-up on the machine before selling it to you (clean, oil, test stitching, etc.). If you have problems trying to do something, they're usually willing to help you out. Do you get that at Wal-Mart? Please understand I'm not bashing Wal-Mart. I shop there. I do have a name of a dealer in Michigan who I would highly recommend to anyone but I don't think you're in Michigan. I've purchased 3 machines from them. They currently are selling Brother, Pfaff and something else (can't remember). The good thing about them is that they also used to sell Bernina (among others)and have all those parts accessible if needed. The owner and his staff are all very knowledgeable in almost every machine on the market today so they have a wealth of information for you if you take the time to do some research.

One of the key things I always consider buying a machine is where I'll have to go if I have problems with the machine. Where would I have to go to get it fixed if the timing goes out? Machines do that regardless of the make, model, or cost. I've had machines through the years that were anywhere from $100 to $15,000. They all need tweeking once and a while. I once purchased a machine for about $200 that had retailed for about $500-$600 just a couple of years before. The previous owner was someone who always liked to have the latest and greatest of everything so never really put much sewing time on any machine she ever owned. I got a great machine which had been used long enough to know that all the "kinks" were found but still had a really great machine (no scratches or dings at all) for a lot less money. It's been a great machine.

People buy machines for many different reasons. Each one is looking for something that's important to them. One may want to be able to hem jeans while the next person wants to make delicate lingerie. Unless you are able to actually spend some time sewing on the machine you're considering you won't know if it's a good match for you or not.

My final thought for any one considering purchasing a machine ... take some time to do your reseach before you make your final decision. Don't let cost alone be you're deciding factor.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Jo Ann's also sell Viking machine here in AZ.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM

the other thing you could try is your church,if they have a board you can post on. single mom looking for a working sewing mechine. My daughter was given a mini van from someone at church, and this is her second car she has been given. She is truly blessed through them.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 PM

i bought a wm quilting machine (brother) ireally wish that i had paid a little more somewhere else because when i moved it to quilting stitches it will not go back to straight stitches and took it to a sewing machine dealer to be fixed he said it could not be fixed .
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM

I LOVE my Brother sew and quilt from Walmart. It was 199.00. I have a Viking #1 and not at all happy with the stitches when quilting on it, just mostly use it for embrodery. I do lap or baby quilts on the brother, and all my piecing. Paid a few thousand for my Viking. I can replace my Brother if it ever has a real problem for less than the price of a repair cost on the Viking. If you are willing to wrestle with a large quilt, it can be done, just be sure to have a large table to rest the quilt on.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM

I always advise people who want to purchase a sewing machine to buy the dealer. By that I mean if something goes wrong you can take it back to a reliable dealer. Also dealers will give instructions on how to use the machine.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM

I wouldn't buy one unless you would buy with the idea that it would be disposable if you have problems. I usually advise friends to go to their local sewing machine store and buy one of their used machines. They usually have lots of different brands that have been traded in for higher end machines and there's nothing wrong with them. That way you have the backing of the store and at least some sort of warranty.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Brothers are Brothers no matter where you buy them...I have had 2 brothers and they have been great. I do know that there is a project runway brother at Walmart and they have been rated as a great machine by consumers,...I woud call Brother and ask them if there is any difference,,usually retail and dealers sell the same brother machines just under different model numbers but exactly same machines...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

You might look into getting a Singer Featherweight. They are available on E-bay at reasonable prices. They are a wonderful little machine. They don't do fancy stitches but I love piecing and quilting on mine. I have 3 of them. They are really cute and extremely durable. You can get an extention table for them as well. It is a machine that is easily maintaned. If you want a machine that does zigzag or other stitches this machine will not meet your needs.