Going grey gracefully

Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I too am very gray, more white in front and grayer in back. I have been so since my 40s and love it. I did dye it once and didn't like the upkeep so keep it natural. I also use the Pantene for silver hair as our water has alot of rust in it and my hair tends to turn yellowish.
Can you get Silver expressions in Hastings???? I would drive over just to get that.... I cant find it anywhere here in Kearney.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

Dye for me!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM

I noticed my first grey hair when I was 16 years old, dyed it once in my twentys,then decided I would just be natural,my mom has white hair and so did my grandma I figured that was my destiney.LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 AM

i also have grey hair and when i want it to shine and not be yellow i go to the place where i have my hair cut and i get a shampoo,,it is purple,,,just add a drab to your regular shampoo and just shampoo as normal and rinse out and the grey will shine,,just as the people at the hair cutting store what you want and they will be glad to help you
Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 AM

I went to my shop and they suggested pulling through a cap and removing my color from 75% of my hair and then when the new gray came in it blended beautifully. It took about three more cuts before it was all gray. I had a lot of root growth before I started this which is better. I know love my hair and no more coloring.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 AM

My natural color was auburn and when I got to the point of letting it grow out - I left it get to about 6 inches all over - with my ends of course the old dyed color - and then I found a beautician who cut my hair so it all "blended" and it turned out beautiful - a good beautician can do wonders to help with the process of helping it look nice while growing out the dye - now I keep it short and she cuts it so the graying lines sort of "flow" and I get many compliments about how nice it always looks.... Occasionally I do a vinegar rinse and it shines and looks so healthy and clean - keeps it's shape also!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 AM

I remember the process, Corky! I eventually did cut my hair quite short which helped it look more even. It is worth it though, now I'm so used to my "salt and pepper" look (heavier on the salt!) it just seems natural. I use a product called "So Silver" that I get from my hairdresser - it has blueing in it which really brightens the hair :)
Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 AM

I would check into a semi-perm color like Redken Shades EQ (at your local salon) that would blend the demarcation line and allow that perm color to grow out. The semi color will then be washed out in a few shampoos after you decide to stop using it. You will have healthy shiney hair that won't look two-colored. You can then use a color enhancing shampoo to bring out the shine and silver quality in your natural hair color. Hope my professional advise works for you :)
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 AM

I let mine go grey several years ago and was afraid it would be yellow as I had some red highlights in my natural hair. Sally's Beauty Supply has a shampoo call Shiney Silver but you don't want to use it but about every 3rd time you shampoo also Roux Fanci-Full rinse in white minx used on damp hair. don't overdo or you will have lavendar hair, but it will keep your hair from being dull.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 AM

It is very beautiful. Mine is still salt and pepper but the grey is silver, I am hoping for solid white someday