Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joan Gaddis
i used to be dept. manager of the fabric dept. in the canton ga. wal mart. our store manager had no control over what stayed or went away. she told me that corporate and district decided and that it was based on sales. when they remodeled they took half of fabric dept. out, downsized toys and enlarged eletronics. they have now given the dept. managers anywhere from 2 to 4 depts. to manage with NO daytime help. there is always price changes and lot of reports to do. i am glad i retired.
canton still has fabric and no one to cut it!!!!! have one of the new stores is jasper about 5 miles from me. it doesn't even have any precuts!!!!!!!!!
The exact same thing in the two stores here except they pretty much took the whole fabric department out.

" when they remodeled they took half of fabric dept. out, downsized toys and enlarged eletronics. "
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM

no fabric back here yet. My neighbor asked when I would be going up to the Walmart and I said when they bring back bolt fabric. I know it sold well because it sold out quickly. By Dec 1 you were lucky to find anything but empty shelves.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Banned

I am sorry you lost your fabric department.[/quote]

the year we lost our walmart fabric came right after they closed our Hancock fabrics and Hobby lobby cut their fabric dept in half and kept mostly fleece and home decor stuff.....and this is a large rural community of Mennonites, home schoolers, 4-H groups, scout groups, you name it, these people SEW!

we also lost both quilt shops and the last remaining fabric store within the same time period, but they closed due to owners leaving town/retiring!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
Yeah here in Manitoba they just have precuts and jelly rolls and the like. No fabric bolts or even batting anymore.
yep same here, and to make matters worst , it`s the only store in town that sells fabrics.....Fabricland is 200 miles away
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Wal-Mart has done a real disservice to its customers and themselves by discontinuing a much needed product. The economy the way it is more people are going back to making (sewing) their own clothing, quilts and other things. Wal Mart should realize that China isn't a place to replace the good old American products.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

CHINA has replaced good old made in the USA products because USA companies agreed to it in the world trade agreement! We were supposed to help build up a 3rd world nation with our wealth...NOW China makes 98% of everything WORLD WIDE.....and it is not just a walmart thing, go to Dillard, Sears, Lowes, Home depot, you pick a store..no pick 10, spend the weekend doing it...let me know if you can find 100 things made anywhere but CHINA in all of those 10 stores..(10 things per store)....you can't....they do not exist....if you want to find made in the USA, Canada, GErmany, etc.. you have to go to specialty shops online!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 AM

When our local WM closed out their fabric dept, our local Sewing machine shop very intelligently installed bolts of wonderful material.....How's that for smarts?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
a couple of months ago there was a Wall Street Journal article about that fact that they had changed plans and were not removing them and it was due to public outcry!
Well there's the proof! Thanks. :)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Hey, I like your avatar too!
Thanks. What an ADORABLE little baby you have there. :)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
So do I!!!
Your babies are so cute!!!