Going grey gracefully

Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 AM

yep if you smoke yu will have yellow hair and teeth, not to mention all kinds of health problems, don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I lost my Mom to lung cancer and now am losing my sister to stage 4 lung cancer
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM
jme

Originally Posted by Corky
I have decided to see what color my hair truly is and I am at that stage where my grey roots are about 6 inches long now. Looks awful!

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is there a way of getting through this growth period gracefully?
2. Is there a rinse to make my grey hair sparkle, rather than be dull? I hate the old and tired look. I want to have nice hair that looks and is, healthy, but I don't think I am going to have that gorgeous vibrant grey that is so pretty.

Help?
I hope there is. My mom and grandma were both totally grey by 40-45 and I don't want to go through dying my hair all the time like mom does!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewing4kix
I would check into a semi-perm color like Redken Shades EQ (at your local salon) that would blend the demarcation line and allow that perm color to grow out. The semi color will then be washed out in a few shampoos after you decide to stop using it. You will have healthy shiney hair that won't look two-colored. You can then use a color enhancing shampoo to bring out the shine and silver quality in your natural hair color. Hope my professional advise works for you :)
As a cosmetologist, we used this. it was great stuff, and I used it on my own hair.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 AM

A few years before I retired I gradually had the
beautician color my hair blonde. Well, by the time i retired, my hair was almost to my waist. I told friends that as soon as my hair got to my waist I would cut it off.
So I did and donated it. I cut it off myself and it was
a really short hairdo. My hair has since grown back
and is its natural color now (salt and pepper) and is almost
half way down my back again. That was two years ago.
In other words....white hair does not look as bad when it
shows if your hair is blonde instead of anyother color.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM

I have decided to see what color my hair truly is and I am at that stage where my grey roots are about 6 inches long now. Looks awful!

2. Is there a rinse to make my grey hair sparkle, rather than be dull? I hate the old and tired look. I want to have nice hair that looks and is, healthy, but I don't think I am going to have that gorgeous vibrant grey that is so pretty.

Help?
My SIL and I have often discussed how to get our hair back to it's natural color - whatever that is! We decided a camp where you would go and shave your head and not go back home till it's grown out enough to replicate a hair style! Hahaha! My hair stylist said that when I'm ready to go to the grey that it is, she can start highlighting it with grey instead of light brown and it will not be so noticable as it grows in. Maybe that's an option. .
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Help?
Oh yes, I forgot to say, with 6" of grey, you could get a very stylish cut, get off all the other color go on from there.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 AM

I was prematurely gray at 35.
Divorced at 42.
Looked very old (NO DATES)>
Dyed it a cut short.
Tried several years ago to grow it off.
I failed.
I am now 64.
Now trying again (should have done when short).
Now shoulder length & I am not cutting
over 4 inches of white(and looks awful).
Hairdresser is going to put highlight in the dark.
If that does not work (THEN I AM BUYING A WIG).
J J
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM

I went through the same thing. I just kept cutting it short till it was all the natural color. It takes time, but its worth it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM

My kids talked me into coloring my hair when it first started turning gray it was kind of a icky yellow gray, got tired of coloring it and said the heck with that and let it go. I bought the blue shampoo (does anyone remember the blue shampoo)? now it is a slivery gray and shiny with the back being a dark brown (hair is short). I have had people ask me what color of dye I use and I just laugh and tell them that I have left it up to God on the color.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM

amen!