Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall? >

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM

I'm lucky to have a large enough space that I can have my cutting table in the center of the room. That way I can work from any side. It is about 40x65 and i covered with cutting matts. My sewing table is lined up with the wall, but pulled out about 6 inches. My sewing table is under the window so I can enjoy the view.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM

My placement is a function of my room. My sewing area is a corner of my basement. The cast iron stove is at my back, and I have 2 walls in the opposite corner. I bought a L shaped desk to fit in the corner, and then a shelved cabinet on wheels to go next to it, which I quickly figured out could be pulled out on an angle so that it forms a semi-circle around me. i had originally thought I would slide it beneath the table, but I like it much better as a cutting station. Picture clockwise my sewing machine, my iron, my cutting station, and lots of spaces around to set the pieces as I make them. I have a swivel chair, and I reach everything from the same seat. I even added a stood to continue the semicircle, to hold my laptop for music or Hulu-TV shows to entertain me while I work. It's so cozy and "my space". So, my cutting "table" isn't a table at all, just the top of a cabinet, and it's not against a wall nor is it in the middle of the walkway. It's a little small for a cutting surface (only 18x24) but it works perfectly for my small space and set up, and I am happy with it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Put that cutting and sewing table some where you can walk around it. I have been cutting on my kitchen island and there are times I would walk to the other side in order to cut easier.
Sally
Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Mine is up against the wall but on casters (wheels) so I can roll it out if the project is big enough to make that easier.
Marysewfun
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 AM

My cutting area is in a different room. I don't have room in either to put it all together. I guess if I took out a bed, but that won't happen.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM

I think it depends on the amount of space that you have. I move mine to the middle, then back against the wall for space purposes. Works for me, so I'd say, whatever works for you.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM

I agree with Kathy. I prefer mine in the middle where I can go around it when I want..
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle
I have mine in the center so I can walk all around it work better for me.
Mine is in the center also. I like having room to move all around my quilt. But mine has locking wheels under it so that I can move it against the wall if I need it there for any reason. Locking wheels are great for your tables. You move things wherever you want them to be on any certain day.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM

I love the picture of your pretty lil doggie. What breed is this? I had one which looked so much like yours for over 10 year before I had to have him put to sleep. He was an apricot & white Japanese Chin....His name was Morning Son but I called him "Tickles"! Just to look at him made me laugh... How I miss him!@
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Mine is in the middle of my room. It makes working from both sides easy! :) Congrats on your room!