Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Only one person has lived who was perfect - they crucified him!!

Enjoy your quilts, yours are better than you think.
Pauline
Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Hi , I have been doing the same thing about my quilting. Like you, I was watching a video on my computer the other day and this lady is suppose to be one of the best and as I was watching her, she went outside of the block into the saashing with her quilting. I was just in shock. That's when I thought, Wow, I should stop beating myself up because my quilting wasn"t as good as I want it to be. Hope to get better at it as I do more.Have a great day and let us both enjoy our quilting as we learn.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM

I agree. I point out my mistakes to my daughters and they say they would not have ever seen them (I guess when we're up close and quilting the "off" patches jump out at us). I've also noted not so perfect quilting in magazines and at quilt shows so we should all relax and enjoy our hobby for better or worse.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM

I'm a longarm quilter and lucky enough to be very busy.

I get to see lots and lots of quiltmakers' quilts up close and personal. Quite often when someone bring their quilts to me, they start the conversation by pointing out the flaws in their work. I always stop them and tell them the quilt police don't live here, and if the quilt police knocked at the door, I will NOT let them in!

There are some basics that we want in our quilts. And from a longarmer's standpoint, these make for a really good quilt. A quilt should be flat. The seams should be sewn, not open. The top and backing should be well pressed. Stray threads should be cut off. That's about it for the "should" list.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM

I agree, I am critical of my quilts where the squares do not always line up perfectly, no matter how I try when sewing them together some of them are not. Last quilt was only 2 that was off line, so I must be getting better. I take more pains with cutting the squares and that seemed to help me.

Eisgoow
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM

I think I must have seen that one too. I was a bit surprised, butt like you, it sure made me feel better about my "not so perfect" projects
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

My Mother, also a quiltmaker, always said the imperfections where there in case she would ever have to identify one of her quilts!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Remember, "done is good enough". I do the best I can on all my quilts, but don't stress over the small stuff when things go wrong.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Everything measured to a "t" -- so many of you have such gorgeous quilts and so many PERFECT ones but you know some of the quilts from Gee's Bend that are on exhibit all over the country are not perfectly matched, blended, or sewn so "to each his own," I say.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmworrall
I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
Those Quilting Police are just a myth. I used to think they had to be so perfect but then it took the enjoyment away.