Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm not sure where Monroe, GA is, but my son lives in the Augusta area and there's a store there called Hobby Lobby, and I think I've seen one along 20 near Atlanta. They have some pretty fabrics and every time we go down there, I just have to go to Hobby Lobby!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Well, if anyone thinks they can have any luck contacting Wal-Mart and complaining because they have no fabric in the stores (hardly) any more, please do... I just spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to get through to the bunch! We have one store, about 15 miles away, where they do still carry the bolts of fabric but in our little town in Va., our local Wal-Mart has nothing! If JoAnn's ever leaves, we'll just have to rip up old clothes to make quilts!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Our Wal-mart just recently dramatically reduced the size of the fabric area and it was always covered up with people it there. I sure don't understand their decision on that one.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM

That alone is one of the biggest reason I stopped shopping at Walmart. They positively ruined the one here in our hometown. Think they are trying to copy Meiers. Who wants two Meier's in one town? Walmart was my one stop shop place, no more!! The old man was right!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
they brought back fabric here, but its precuts and projects kits. No bolts of fabric.
Same here is Lutz, Fl. The new store has just FQ and fabric for pillows and a couple of other projects. No zippers, which now I have to drive to West Tampa to get. Really almost nothing at all. Odd though, they do have a couple of Singer machines there.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I was told the same thing at two of our local Wal-Marts in central Iowa! Yeah! :)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 PM

I just got home from wal mart and ours added an isle of fabric that is precut in 2 yards. it hangs from the wall. Our store had gotten rid of all fabric so I wonder if this is how they are going to be bringing it back.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Our Wal Mart told me that when they remodled again, the entire sewing department was going out and being replaced by "Party Favors"....so who knows.
Originally Posted by Bostons
Okay, so I don't know if this is true or not so please don't shoot the messenger, BUT...I was purchasing fabric at Wal-Mart tonight and I mentioned to the woman how happy I was that we had such a great fabric dept. b/c I knew so many stores were discontinuing theirs. She said we absolutely weren't and had been getting tons of fabric in lately AND that other stores are going to be BRINGING BACK their fabric departments.

So take that for what it's worth. I know there are a lot of opinions on this topic but for those who love to shop at Wal-Mart, you can keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM

I really hope the one we have in Rivergate keep their material. I ran out of some of the Whispy Rose material and had to go to Clarksville to get some more the lady there said the same thing that they wasnt getting rid of theirs and some Wal-Marts are going to bring it back because there was so many people that was upset that they took it out. So everybody that wants fabric at their Wal-mart contact the company and voice your opinion I am from Tennessee.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Our Walmart in Clanton, Alabama is supposed to cut out the bolts sometime this spring. However in the last tweo weeks we have been getting in sooo much fabric by the bolt. Most of it is 100% cotton and priced at $4.97 a yard but there is more coming every week. I keep thinking this is some other Walmarts fabric that closed their dept. Hope I am wrong and that the fabric keeps on coming.