Going grey gracefully

Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM

I asked my hairdresser to add "streaks" of the dyed color, rather than gold or silver, to help the real me (grey grey grey) blend til it grew out. It's almost there...I've chopped off about 7" over time to help get rid of the old, bottled color. Now, after almost 18 months, I'm almost done--my hair, in case you couldn't tell, is long, almost waist length. Husband wants it long, I got tired of dyeing it. Plus, with my looks, I need my brain for income and putting red dye in every six weeks, I worried about eroding that! *G*

what makes me nuts however, is the grey in the eyebrows. I love grey on top, don't mind hubby calling me "grandma" now and then, but those eyebrow greys make me feel OLD
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 AM

My hair looks like Rosyhf's avatar - all shiny white in front with a little grey in the back. Like dakotamaid - my hair has always been fine plus limp - but my white hair that started in my 30s if super fine. I use the silver shampoo and mix it about half & half with cheap daily clarifying shampoo. That way it doesn't build up on your hair and turn it purple. If I use purple shampoo every day it will build up. I can't use shampoo with ANY color of any kind in it - it will turn my hair that color. Baby shampoo is the worst - makes my hair turn an UGLY yeller.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM

I just got the last of my color cut off and I am so happy. Makes me wonder why I have colored all these years.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM

The first gray hairs were at my hs graduation. Colored it until I turned 30, then went a la natural. Each hairdresser has a different opinion, but mine says it's very soft and fine because it really isn't gray, but a mixture of what few brown strands are left and white. Gray would be more coarse. Sally's carried Shimmer Lights shampoo, put out by Clairol. I mix 50/50 with regular shampoo to use occasionally to keep it sparkling and not turn yellow. Full strength it would be blue hair like in granny's day.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Ask at your favorite beauty shop for a shampoo called so silver. It helps whiten the white. i really like it
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Try a special shampoo. It is to brighten yellowing gray. It is called Jhimack. I find it at Wal-mart. Try the beauty supply. I have salt and pepper hair and lately I have the problem of my gray yellowing. I don't like it so I'm trying this shampoo. I believe it is helping.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM

I am going gray not gracefully but with both of us unemployed hair color is not happening. but it looks ok but my husband doesn't like it.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM

I am a cosmetologist and also color my hair. I am very gray on top and at 43 I just am not ready to be gray. I do think it is very beautiful on others just not on me yet. lol If you don't want to pay beauty shop prices for shampoo look at Walmart for a purple shampoo for gray hair. It cuts out all the yellow that gray or white hair gets. Don't freak out when you put it on your hair it's not going to be that color it just gets rid of the stuff you don't want. Also, someone mentioned Fanciful rinse. That works to blend your hair while it's growing out. It just washes out so you have to keep doing it but maybe you could just use it when you know you're going somewhere. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM

My hair has always been dark brown. Then one day I noticed a White one...not grey...WHITE! So began the dying process about every 6 weeks! Oh, once in a while I'd let go longer in between..at least at first. But then it was beginning to show more and more white between visits to the beauty shop. So I started doing it myself and kept that up for years! At 60 I got real tired of it so let it go. I keep my hair short so didn't have that growing out process. My hair never turned grey...it's still dark brown with lots of white sparkles in it! I use Pantene also which helps with shine, but also have some Shine spray made by FX Express. I love it but really compare it to the old spray and shine floor wax! Has to be washed out after every use, but it really does shine! One of the kids in my church said "How did you get the sparkles in your hair?" I told her God gave them to me with a little help from my kids!! LOL!!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Corky
I have decided to see what color my hair truly is and I am at that stage where my grey roots are about 6 inches long now. Looks awful!

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is there a way of getting through this growth period gracefully?
2. Is there a rinse to make my grey hair sparkle, rather than be dull? I hate the old and tired look. I want to have nice hair that looks and is, healthy, but I don't think I am going to have that gorgeous vibrant grey that is so pretty.

Help?
There are 2 solutions, one is too late for you: #1 don't start in the first place. #2 Turn all the mirrors around so you can't see yourself. I am almost 70 and luckily have just a tad of grey showing. But I notice that since my dog tore his ACL & had surgery the hair is getting greyer by the day. It just shows how hard I have worked all these years. It is my badge of "courage".