Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall? >

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM

so Nice.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM

I have my table for cutting in middle (more or less) , one short end is against wall. Parallel to it is my ironing board , then my sewing table sits to right of ironing board and across from cutting table. Kinda makes a "U" shape. Easy to go to one , then the other when needed. The cutting table is also a large double drop leaf dining table so i can make it smaller if I want. Or if I really need another table for a meal I can use it.!!!! Not that I want to, too much stuff on it. I have been known to use it outside for a big get together. My room is 17 x 13 so I have the luxury to arrange however I want. If you can maybe have the table on wheels, then when you need to or want to go around it, you can pull it out.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM

I also have the luxury to open the curtains and look outside while I am sewing. So nice in the spring or the evening when the deer like to have dinner in my yard.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM

I have a small reading chair in my room. TV sits on top of 6 drawer dresser that I use to store equipment. My closet actually goes back under the stairs so I can hide a lot there. Also under the table is a crisscross support that I have placed boards on so that I can keep things on and close at hand.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 PM

I don't have a dedicated quilting/craft room but use a corner of my bedroom, closets and a dresser. I do my cutting at an island in the kitchen where I can walk almost completely around the fabric. Works well. Before I had an island I cut on the floor so I could get completely around the fabric.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM

I have had 2 famous teachers say in classes that I've taken that the sewing table should be up against the wall, preferably in a corner. The reason is that when you are quilting, if the quilt slides off the edge toward the floor, the drag on the quilt can ruin your FMQ or pull on your SID quilting. They recommend letting the quilt "puddle" up on the table top and push toward the wall or corner. To me, this made a lot of sense when they explained it that way.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM

In the middle after being by the wall for years...like it better this way
Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Mine is also in the middle. So is my sewing table, ironing board beside it so i can see outside or watch tv while i quilt.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM

My sewing room is in one of our three smaller bedrooms. Sometimes, I think about moving it into the master bedroom and the master into a smaller room. But, we like the master as it is now. My cutting table is a 4 by 6 foot folding table and it sits on bed risers for a comfortable height. It is a few inches away from the wall so fabric can easily drape over the back edge. My sewing table is a 3 by 4 folding table and it is always on sliders so I can easily move it where I want it within the room. I have found that the sliders let me make small adjustments in position while I am sewing. It is so much easier than adjusting the chair.
Your sewing room should be however it works best for you.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM

What a great idea. I'm in the middle of redong my sewing room too. I'm going to pass this idea along to my very talented hubby. Thank you.